Hog traps and deer

Fork Horn

We had some hogs show up on our place about a week or so ago. While sitting out one morning afterwards, ten young pigs came into the field. With the largest looking no more than twenty five pounds and most of the others much smaller, I decided to not shoot and to move my trap to the field. We decided rather than set the trap the first night, we'd put a camera on it to watch and once we saw hogs going inside, we'd set it the next night. I never expected a deer to go into the trap. Luckily it wasn't set or both the deer and me would have had a bad morning.

How do you keep deer out of your hog traps? Now I'm hesitant to even set the trap. Luckily the hogs haven't been back, so I haven't needed to set the trap, but I sure don't want to catch a deer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HogKillaDNR

I would put some very rank corn and other stuff Deer don't care for.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve caught a lot of hogs in traps and never caught a deer . I know it does happen though . I’d be more concerned releasing one of them big bears you’ve been playing with .

Fork Horn

I’ve caught a lot of hogs in traps and never caught a deer . I know it does happen though . I’d be more concerned releasing one of them big bears you’ve been playing with .
I planned ahead for the bear. I built my trap with a hole in the center of the top large enough for the bear to climb out. Figured it’d be better for him to get himself out rather than him waiting for me to help…;)

Last edited:

sleepr71

This is another advantage of a Corral style trap. Even with 5’ high sides..a Deer can clear it easily. Another thing that will help is to soak Corn in Diesel fuel. Just another reason to NOT use box style traps ?

longrangedog

Got lots of pictures of deer in my corral trap but never caught one because they can jump out. Same with bears except for recently when a 125 lb. bear in the trap with the doors tied open panicked when we drove within his sight and stopped. He started running into the trap sides and the two open doors didn't come into play until he had worn himself out and beat his head until he bled. He finally managed to run out a door. They usually climb out.

HogKillaDNR

Got lots of pictures of deer in my corral trap but never caught one because they can jump out. Same with bears except for recently when a 125 lb. bear in the trap with the doors tied open panicked when we drove within his sight and stopped. He started running into the trap sides and the two open doors didn't come into play until he had worn himself out and beat his head until he bled. He finally managed to run out a door. They usually climb out.
That was an amazing encounter for sure. What state did this happen in?

hogjohn

You can cut part of the top off the trap. I have about 18" of top on each end of the trap and the rest is open. The theory is that a hog might be able to climb up the corner of the trap but it can't climb the straight side wall. I've never had a hog escape but all of the turkeys, deer and bear have managed to get out without any help.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Only caught one deer. She panicked til I told her to calm down. It was in our yard.opened the door and off she went. They tamer here. Just set it in the woods now.