Finally a Little Rain

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Huntinfool

Working our plots this week with an underpowered 27hp tractor and about a 50 year old 6 disc plow.

It's gonna take a while. But who cares! Tractor time is good time and the rain we got over the weekend should help soften things up.

Elkbane

I planted everything I had fertilized and prepped yesterday - 5.25 acres replacing 2015 era perennial clover plots and 2.5 acres of brassicas. The annual cool season grain plots will have to wait for another week . Another 7 acres with the planter, then 2 acres of low tech bottomland planting, fertilize, seed & scratch in.

Clover plot got Durana, Crimson, Fixation Balansa, Medium Red, plus a little rape and radish with 50 lb wheat as a nurse crop. Brassica Plots got Rape, Radish and PTT, plus some annual clovers with 40 lbs wheat as a nurse crop.

I'm using a new Woods FPS 72 planter. It's about all a 52 hp Kuboda can tote. Once you get it calibrated, it just does its thing. HUGE improvement if you are working by yourself. It's a fantastic piece of equipment - expensive, but largely eliminates implement changes. Almost makes you feel like a real farmer....

Everything else I need is in the barn - just need time - maybe next week.
Elkbane

davidhelmly

I planted everything I had fertilized and prepped yesterday - 5.25 acres replacing 2015 era perennial clover plots and 2.5 acres of brassicas. The annual cool season grain plots will have to wait for another week . Another 7 acres with the planter, then 2 acres of low tech bottomland planting, fertilize, seed & scratch in.

Clover plot got Durana, Crimson, Fixation Balansa, Medium Red, plus a little rape and radish with 50 lb wheat as a nurse crop. Brassica Plots got Rape, Radish and PTT, plus some annual clovers with 40 lbs wheat as a nurse crop.

I'm using a new Woods FPS 72 planter. It's about all a 52 hp Kuboda can tote. Once you get it calibrated, it just does its thing. HUGE improvement if you are working by yourself. It's a fantastic piece of equipment - expensive, but largely eliminates implement changes. Almost makes you feel like a real farmer....

Elkbane
It sounds like you planted some great mixes, hopefully we get some rain soon.

Ihunt

Elkbane
I went and looked at David’s a couple of years back. I have a 46hp Kubota and came to the conclusion that the 6’ model would just be a little too much for my tractor. I didn’t want to plant with the 5’ mode. I opted for a 8’ traditional grain drill instead.

Not sure what the future holds but going forward, if I stay healthy and motivated, I want a larger tractor and one of these. What they lack as far as not being a true no till I think they will make up for in toughness.