Food plot fertilizer question

GAbuckhunter88

I planted my plots this week with the forecasted rain coming from Ian and that’s all disappeared, I usually plant my seed and fertilizer at the same time then drag it to cover it however my co-op was out of fertilizer the day I went by.

Should I just let the seed sit and go spread fertilizer right before it rains or go ahead and spread it now?

ventilator

I am getting way more rain in SC than i planned. Hoping it all doesnt get washed away!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I bet there were a lot of folks(including me) that put seed in the ground this past week just knowing we were going to get a good rain out of the hurricane. That plan went to crap in a hurry!

Include me in that. But I always plant in late September. No more work now.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Me to ! I don’t think it will matter if you put it out now or wait really . May save you some money if we don’t get any rain for a few more weeks

Mackie889

I would wait on the fertilizing. Not sure if it is true, but I've heard that the nitrogen part of the fertilizer can get lost pretty quickly (in the air and by leaching) ... that would stink if that expensive fertilizer wasn't doing the job as well because the nitrogen is less by the time you sow the seeds? Like I said, not sure if that is true. Good luck!