No rain, should we plant

lildorris00

I know a lot of folks planted this week expecting rain that now seems to be out of the picture. We’ve not seen rain in at least 21 days and the 10 day forecast is more dry weather.
I planted clover,brassicas earlier this week before the chance of rain changed. Iv got oats and fertilizer left. Do I wait for rain or go ahead and get the oats and fertilizer in the ground and hope for the best?

NMH5050

I've planted many times and a drought will happen. The seed will be fine sitting in the ground. This year I planted 10 acres of millet and sorghum in June and it did not rain for 30 days and I had a great crop.

Ihunt

As dry as it is you’ll be fine as long as the birds don’t eat all of your seed which is unlikely. The seed will just sit there waiting on moisture. A bigger problem would have been if it had rained just enough to germinate the seed then turned off dry again.

My preference is to wait until right before a rain but life and work gets in the way of that. That and the weatherman not getting it right.

B. White

I've planted many times and a drought will happen. The seed will be fine sitting in the ground. This year I planted 10 acres of millet and sorghum in June and it did not rain for 30 days and I had a great crop.

I planted the first week in October a few years ago and that place did not see rain until the beginning of December. It all came up and did fine. I held off on planting clover to make sure it wouldn't wash and overseeded last night, now that the threat of tropical downpour is gone.

chpeterson

As dry as it is you’ll be fine as long as the birds don’t eat all of your seed which is unlikely. The seed will just sit there waiting on moisture. A bigger problem would have been if it had rained just enough to germinate the seed then turned off dry again.

My preference is to wait until right before a rain but life and work gets in the way of that. That and the weatherman not getting it right.
Unfortunately I face the bigger problem, Washington/Tignail, planted early September, great seed bed, fertilized as well, the next week it rained 3-4 days, came up looking fantastic, Oats, Wheat and Clover. I doubt we have had rain or little to none since then and when I checked yesterday they were looking bad.
Any chance some miracle of rain will revitalize them ? Or should I just plan to replant ? If so is late October to late to plant ?

TomC

I've forgotten what rain looks like in W. KY. Maybe some late next week, will be 45 days with barely........barely a trace. Driest I've ever seen it anywhere I've lived. Got a lot of seed sitting in barn and waiting. DUST BOWL!

Ihunt

Unfortunately I face the bigger problem, Washington/Tignail, planted early September, great seed bed, fertilized as well, the next week it rained 3-4 days, came up looking fantastic, Oats, Wheat and Clover. I doubt we have had rain or little to none since then and when I checked yesterday they were looking bad.
Any chance some miracle of rain will revitalize them ? Or should I just plan to replant ? If so is late October to late to plant ?

Really just depends. It may look dead and a rain may revive it but with no rain in the forecast if it’s not dead at this point it’s in the ICU.

Late October isn’t too late to plant as far as helping the deer but you may not have a green plot to hunt over during the rut. Really just a judgement call on your part. Deer will be just fine without our plots.

Ihunt

Oh, and don’t feel bad. I planted some RR Alfalfa that’s probably going to die as well as some Durana clover. I’ve overseeded clover so that will be fine but I’m all out of the alfalfa.

It was a gift so it didn’t hurt my wallet but it’s about $650-$700 a bag. Even though I didn’t have to buy it I’m still sick about it. I will not be buying any more.