Finally over losing my dog, looking for another...

Cmp1

BANNED
I once had a rottweiler mixed with Afghan hound, long haired with markings of a Rottie. I mean 7-8 inch long hair! This is the one the kids got custody of, no one could get between her and the kids, and she would not let the kids get too far apart either. Funny watching a rag mop rottie herding toddlers.
I think I only saw one German Shepherd in the 4 yrs I was in Germany,,,,tons of Rotts though,,,,

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Lost my Doberman about 1 1/2 years ago, best dog and companion animal I ever had.

Stop right there.

Get another Doberman. Closest thing to a human kid on 4 legs.

Wife has two right now.

Wifeshusband

There's a wild breed of dog, first investigated by a doctor, who found these packs of what look like Dingo's, pretty short haired light brown dogs, roaming the Savannah River between S.C and GA. They're indigenous to North American, apparently brought over by Indians, and are now recognized by the AKC. American Dingo.
carolina_dog.jpg

On the other hand, have you considered adopting a dog from the pound or Humane Society? I was scrolling their websites the other day and was just heartbroken over all the abused and unwanted dogs available. Not enough good homes to go around. I have two dogs now, but if I ever get another one, it will be from one of those places. Good luck with your pick!

greg_n_clayton

I have been hitting shelters either where I was, or along the route if they were open when I came through. I would want to either meet the vet treating the animals there, or have a vaccination record before I walked out with a shelter dog.
The one and only time I got one, it had Parvo and it was weakened too far by the time I could get seen at my vet (3 days). Old vet wouldn't even let me set her down, he knew what it was at a glance. Handed me a preloaded syringe and told me to take her somewhere, give the injection and grab a shovel. That old vet was pure cranky, but he was straightforward and brutally open. I miss that guy..
You ever around Clayton...holler at me. I volunteer at a private rescue. They have 3 or 4 I would bring home if my plate wasn't already full. There is one cur there now that caught my attention right off the bat ! But he is too big for ya ! He is so house broke...he won't per or poop in his kennel which is a 10x12 !!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I’m on the list to get a Lacy dog this spring/summer. First dog that will be “mine” in about 20 years. But my situations a little different I’m retired and have a farm to fool around on plus trapping a little and goofing around I feel like i finally have the time for a working dog

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
A word of caution,

If you decide to rescue. Go into it with a cold heart and dont let your emotions get the better of you.
We recently adopted our first dog from a rescue. (at a vet)

First off i was just flat out lied too over the phone. When we got there and started talking too the lady working with her. My spidey sense was going off. I should have turned around and left right then.

They had the dog listed as young. After the deal was done and we got her records. They new all along exactly how old she was. 5 years old is middle aged for a boxer.

She was taken from her owners for neglect. That part was true.
She was also abused by a man. Completely different dog around my wife.

They said she had never been aggressive. She jumped my fiest twice in the first 2 days.

I take pride in having well trained dogs. I decided to take on the challenge to rehabilitate this dog.
6 months later we have made some progress. But at times its been 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. It has not been fun. We still have a long way to go.

Tacoma Man

We have had Jack Russells for years. Mine have never been super hyper like you see on tv shows or movies. They protect the yard and live a long time. Recently lost 2, one was over 17 and the other 15 1/2

WayneB

We have had Jack Russells for years. Mine have never been super hyper like you see on tv shows or movies. They protect the yard and live a long time. Recently lost 2, one was over 17 and the other 15 1/2
We had a male, shorthair, short legged Jack Russell. Great dog. Was about 15 when he up and walked hisself and didn't return. Figure he got snakebit or laid down and died. Just did not have the attachment like with the Dobie.
Other than the chewing during teething, the main reason I don't want another Dobie is that many campgrounds consider is an aggressive breed and won't allow them. I've passed off the Dobie as a German Pinscher a couple times.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Another dog that I've always wanted,,,,a friend had two Reds,,,,

We had a black. Now we have a red and a blue(she's kinda turned fawn as she's aged).

WayneB

I’m on the list to get a Lacy dog this spring/summer. First dog that will be “mine” in about 20 years. But my situations a little different I’m retired and have a farm to fool around on plus trapping a little and goofing around I feel like i finally have the time for a working dog
I consider myself partially retired. I have assistants that do all the grunt and scut work, I just lay my years of wisdom on 'em and temper their enthusiasm. Fun watching eager young bucks trying to sprint in a marathon.. I keep telling my employer that I ain't training new guys to run the show, I'm trying to train my replacement. :)

BDD

My daughter has a Australian shepherd, very smart dog. Their yards not fenced and he doesn’t leave the yard.

He watches over everything and goes every where with them. He’s always on the back on the golf cart or

In the bed of the truck.

Lost my Doberman about 1 1/2 years ago, best dog and companion animal I ever had.
Don't really want to relive the teething of a Doberman, that has to be contained inside during cold or heat so excluding them this go-round for the sake of my house and camper.
I want an animal that will be around awhile, While I love a great dane, I can't suffer another attachment that only lives 8-10 years. This also excludes Doberman, German Shepard, Rottweiler and Chesapeake retrievers, All of which I've had in younger years. (kids got custody of Rotty in divorce)
Thinking I would like a Golden or Irish setter, but I've heard they don't adapt to frequent change, and I travel a LOT for work. (42+ weeks a year on average)
Not convinced I want a Lab or Springer spaniel, I want one not afraid of water, but also not so hard- headed they HAVE to be in it if they see it. (camper living is not always dog-bath friendly) Plus I don't want my truck to smell like wet dog forever.
Tiny yappy rodent sized things are not dogs in my opinion, I despise my wife's Yorkie. Total pain in my ... yeah.

So, Aunt had a Cocker Spaniel when we were kids, ( she is 3 years older than I) and that was a cool dog. Thinking about this breed nostalgically, have not been around one in about 40 years. Seen one King Charles Cavalier about the same size, but I am not willing to drop $2k on a puppy.
No experience with Beagles other that listening to them baying, not too fond of that actually.
Pedigree and papers mean less than nothing to me, I want a female and she will be fixed at first heat. I don't want the drama associated with breeding and interlopers hanging around. And definitely will not tolerate a male hiking his leg in my house. Puddles are one thing, cleaning upholstery is another. Besides, I've got four daughters, six granddaughters and a wife. I'm used to being around em, plus they seem to be more protective/attentive to the littler ones.

Looking for ideas on breeds and breeders within 100 miles of Augusta where I can go and study some pups and see if we connect. Again, not worried or interested in papers, Not going to be shown or bred. Would consider mixes to a point, but not the 'designer mutts'.
Ideally 25-50 lbs, little drooling if any, and tempered to take it as it comes without freaking out.
Really intrigued by Nic's little heeler, but I've not been around one for anything longer than a few minutes.
Really ready to fill the hole..
Hard to beat them Basset Hounds.....

Wifeshusband

A word of caution,

If you decide to rescue. Go into it with a cold heart and dont let your emotions get the better of you.
We recently adopted our first dog from a rescue. (at a vet)

First off i was just flat out lied too over the phone. When we got there and started talking too the lady working with her. My spidey sense was going off. I should have turned around and left right then.

They had the dog listed as young. After the deal was done and we got her records. They new all along exactly how old she was. 5 years old is middle aged for a boxer.

She was taken from her owners for neglect. That part was true.
She was also abused by a man. Completely different dog around my wife.

They said she had never been aggressive. She jumped my fiest twice in the first 2 days.

I take pride in having well trained dogs. I decided to take on the challenge to rehabilitate this dog.
6 months later we have made some progress. But at times its been 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. It has not been fun. We still have a long way to go.
Love of abused dog.jpg

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
A Brittany is a fine dog, but you’ll have to let them run 2-3 miles every day.

WayneB

Former mother in law had a basset hound, one of the most anti-excitement dogs I have ever seen. But man they STINK. ;)