Finally pulled the trigger on a Roomba

gantt

alright, so i finally pulled the trigger on one of those Roomba floor cleaners, the J9+ combo. it vacuums and mops, returns to base, empties the dust bin and refills the mop water. i was nervous since it cost a pretty penny. but the 60 day return policy sold me on it. came in yesterday, we unboxed and put the roomba in the docking station to charge.

our house is a "lived in" house, couple cats, two kids under 3 years old. we live out in the country so it's a constant battle with dirt tracking in, dirt falling off firewood that's brought in, ash from the wood stove etc. cracker crumbs on the floor. you name it. it's a zoo and we seem to fight a losing battle on keeping the floors clean. i have wood floors with a large area rug, with two door rugs as well.

so we fired Rosie up and she did a mapping run, then we ran a vacuum only run.

this thing sucks up cracker piece's and everything. next we ran a vacuum and mop run, our floors were not cleaned prior to the roomba, and i was very impressed with how clean the floors got with a single mopping run. it is not loud at all, we could barely hear it in another room and even in the same room it was no hindrance at all on our conversations. the docking station is a little loud when it empties the robot's dust hopper, but not as loud as a standard vacuum. plus it only runs for approx. 6 seconds or so. I was very impressed with the way it tracked around obstacles, around the couch and chairs etc. initially, i mentioned if this thing did 70% of the floor work i would be happy. after one day i feel that Rosie the Roomba will likely perform about 80-85% of the floor work, if not more.

we ran this on a partial charge, and halfway though she stopped, and returned to base for charging. then it automatically returned to finish the assigned task.

once we hash out the floor plan mapping a little better i am going to set it on a simulated night run, to see if Rosie can perform her tasks with the usual night time light level in our home.

i am already looking at getting a vacuum only model for the upstairs bedrooms.

overall, i am very pleased with the J9+, and that is a bold statement because i was highly skeptical of the robot floor cleaners.

I am not a tech guy, prefer pencil and paper etc. was on a sale for a dollar less than a grand, which was a hefty price to run a risk on, but if it does not perform as well as i want i can return it no questions asked. i did buy a four year replacement plan, seems that's the way to go these days. nothing runs like a 40 year old Electrolux these days!!

Get the Ole Lady a vacuum for Christmas lol. she will like it

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
We have a simpler one, but it works. Embarrassingly well. Call it Carlton, does get confused sometimes trying to get back to the charging station. Carlton died on us after about a year of service, new $20.00 battery brought him back. I’d recommend getting one to anybody, worth the money.

krizia829

Dang I wish I can have one! I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old and food crumbs are my biggest enemy!! Plus the dirt from my shoes from my job are a daily battle. The mop option is nice! My girls always spill water or juice on the floor, or yogurt and you know how that goes.. lol I wish they weren't so pricey, but they seem to live up to their price! I will someday have one!!

specialk

i got a irobot one, just vaccums....i have to lay down a few throw pillows to keep it from hanging up on a couple pieces of furniture...runs off a phone app.....love it....

gantt

Dang I wish I can have one! I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old and food crumbs are my biggest enemy!! Plus the dirt from my shoes from my job are a daily battle. The mop option is nice! My girls always spill water or juice on the floor, or yogurt and you know how that goes.. lol I wish they weren't so pricey, but they seem to live up to their price! I will someday have one!!
the one i got was a dollar less than a grand. i hated to but i opted for a four year replacement plan. so far its worth the money to me. even the little black spots from snack cake crumbs came off. now if i could just get a whole home cleaning robot lol

Redbow

The Electrolux vacuum cleaners were one tough cookie. My Mom used one in her house for probably 50 years. She had one in her restaurant also both were excellent machines.

krizia829

the one i got was a dollar less than a grand. i hated to but i opted for a four year replacement plan. so far its worth the money to me. even the little black spots from snack cake crumbs came off. now if i could just get a whole home cleaning robot lol
ouch!!! lol

ilbcnu

Been using one for a few years now. Shark self dumping model. I will say when they break down to save the old model for parts as they will fail at some point and the sensors are next to impossible to find replacement parts After warranty expires. Easy to repair, used parts are the only ones available so save any old machines

Last edited:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way

Jus' Say'n

earlthegoat2

My Roomba is an every two week service by a local housekeeper.

After the dog doo dooed in the house and the Roomba vacuumed it up, that was it for that.

gantt

My Roomba is an every two week service by a local housekeeper.

After the dog doo dooed in the house and the Roomba vacuumed it up, that was it for that.
i worked with this idiot once that told me he finached one of those Rainbow systems. said for 3 grand it ought to clean anything. one day the dog had diarrhea and he ruined that vacuum lol.