Finally They Are Here

Redbow

I have been waiting to see a big flock of Robins show up all fall. I guess the bad weather that hit the northeast has pushed them south because this morning our neighborhood is full of them. They are eating the Bartlett Pears off our trees in the front yard.

As a boy I killed quite a few of them with my Remington .22 single shot rifle, the birds were a welcome change in the diet of many farm families when I was growing up. Their flesh is sweet and tasty and a good mess of Robins would be very pleasing to eat even now but I will let them move on in peace.

I was wondering if we would see any Robins at all this year. I 'm glad they finally made it down to our area. It seems the Robins are still plentiful at least I hope they are.

flatwoods

My grandfather talked about seeing those big flocks. A welcome sight for them as shotgun shells were scarce.
You needed several with one shot if possible.

flatwoods

Now that you got me thinking about it.
I still have the old single shot that he used to gather all those robins.
He traded a pair of shoes for it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those big flocks don't show up here until late February/early March.

Redbow

Wish I still had my Remington even though I had not used it in decades before I let it go.

Redbow

One night when we lived in SC I heard something outside and I got my flashlight and went out to see what it was. It was a 'possum in the bird feeder. Flashing my light up into the old gum tree that stood beside the house there were Robins roosting in the gum tree everywhere. With my pellet rifle the birds would have been an easy harvest but I went back inside and let them rest.

Redbow

Daddy told me about thrashing them off the roost and getting them by the croker sack full when he was a youngun.
Yep, that's the way I was taught to Snipe hunt. ;)