First beaver set

buckpasser

They also make bank dens. I trap for a few farmers. You can drive around a field edge next to a creek where beavers have a bank den and it sink in and swallow your truck or the farmer on his tractor!

We have a field that could definitely accommodate that. It’s bordered by a series of beaver ponds for about 650 yards just down stream of where the trap is set.

buckpasser

Another beaver visited last night and lightly worked on the spillway. It had been raining hard, so I’m not sure how he avoided the conibear, but he did.

To hopefully add some to my chance of success, I constructed my first drowning cable setup. All I had was a Duke #3. The cable is earth anchored at the bank and I welded a harrow disk and broken axle shaft to a threaded link and chunked it out there. The lock is a corner brace with a smaller hole drilled near the 90 that appeared to slide and lock well. The only possible issue besides the smaller trap is that the anchor is only in around 3 feet of water. What say the real trappers here? Is that deep enough? Is the #3 a major offense? I’m all ears.

Mhuska

What trap do you use on the drowning cable? The guy that normally takes care of them for us was using what looked like a 650 or larger. It was painted, but just laying on top of the mud right at the waters edge.
Bridger #5 (4 coiled) turned sideways works for front or back feet catches

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_111039_151.jpg
    IMG_20200218_111039_151.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20200708-143419.png
    Screenshot_20200708-143419.png
    929.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20200708-143453.png
    Screenshot_20200708-143453.png
    775.1 KB · Views: 25

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I know they are destructive and can ruin some land but I’ve never had the desire to kill one ! Maybe because they aren’t ruining my land lol , great catch buckpasser I knew you’d catch him !
Lol my dad used to be the same way till he planted 500 pines with a hand held dribble and once they grew about 12 feet high some beavers moved in and cut half of them down before he realized it. ?
You don’t want to be a beaver on his place now he hates them as bad as he hates armadillos

buckpasser

I finally caught up with beaver #2 this morning. I was tempted to just let him be, because he seemed happy to only stop up the duck pond about half as deep as his predecessor. The final straw though was building a huge dam up stream that started putting water out into some planted pines.

I busted both dams yesterday and set in the creek between them. Here are the results.

Second beaver!
0D3F57A5-DF6A-4537-98BC-D5515E5071A7.jpegAB251718-6D07-4F02-A310-D19D633FB352.jpeg

benellisbe

I have a creek on my property and 2 ponds (both spring fed). I trapped 27 beaver between the ponds and creek last year alone. Keep the 330's there. I also like to set snares at slides (see where they are coming out to eat) or 330s in those areas as long as they are within the minimum distance from water.