FIRST LEGAL BASS OF 2023

oldfella1962

Finally! Since the bigger bluegills aren't biting lately, I'm fishing for bass. Getting a bit of action but from not-quite-legal bass or the bigger bass are throwing the hook or whatever. Toward the very end of my fishing today I caught this one on a drop-shot rig (from the bank) using a twister-tail soft plastic. There were more bass its size in the vicinity, but I had to leave to beat the rush-hour traffic home.
Not a pretty fish because I'm fishing clear water so that doesn't bring out the vivid colors/contrasts, but it will fry up tasty just the same!

APRIL2023BASS1.jpgAPRIL2023TWISTER.jpg

oldfella1962

Looks like that extravagant rig paid off. :cool:
Yep that Zebco 33, a cheap rod, and Walmart knockoff soft plastics will set you back a small fortune! :LOL: You can't beat pond/small lake fishing for laid-back relaxing fun. But I love that drop-shot configuration when the conditions are right. I generally use a 5 inch Zoom straight trick worm (not the knockoffs in this case) but last night I saw a you tube video and the guy was using different types of plastics to include a curly tail jig. So today I figured the bass might be getting wise to me working my favorite spots with the Zoom worms, so I would offer them something slightly different while using the same general technique. Sure enough, that 2-inch curly tail did the trick. If I can get away tomorrow I'll try different color plastics and shapes.

oldfella1962

Nice fish !
Thanks! Bigger than I thought it was once I fried it up. Maybe I made too many French fries to go along with the fish, so I'm eating the other fillet today for supper.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yummy! I love eating a bass! One of my favorite ways growing up was just putting the filets in the oven with butter and lemon pepper seasoning …..yummy!

Redbow

Congrats on the nice Bass, I gotta get out soon and catch a few, there's a pond back in the Croatan National Forest that should be ready about now for catching a few.

Latest posts