Fleas on dogs

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Please listen to us and spend the few extra bucks on the prescription meds. The rest, collars, powders, liquid stuff is all a joke
??? That's exactly what I'm talking about. Prescription flea medication. You're saying the same thing I am.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone ordered from Canada?

Yes, my wife has ordered Nexgaurd from canadapetcare.com. Same stuff. Same results. Much cheaper.

ucfireman

The feed through pills from the vet work very well. We would use them starting about April, I used the monthly pills but would give it every other month, saw great results. Last dose around Sept then give their system a chance to get it out of their system and recover.

Please be aware, you are essentially poisoning your animal, very lightly but it is a poison. So are a lot of other things we give them as well as what we eat. It can cause seizures and other issues, we never had any issues that we know for sure was caused by the pills. 1 did have seizures later, never figured out why. 2 developed CHF. 1 went blind and developed spleen cancer and 1 some sort of self immune disease.
I'm not saying any of these were caused by the pills, I'm also saying they were not. Just putting it out there.

Just know what ever you try, you must break the life cycle or you will never see a flea less animal. Kill the adults, let the eggs hatch and kill them or use a IGR (insect growth regulator) to keep the eggs from hatching.

Big7

The Oracle
by chemicals do you mean pills?....i'd ask a vet and follow their advice....my inside dog gets a 3 way for ticks-fleas-heartworms once a month.....
Mine too.

My Grandmother used to give her's Brewers Yeast and she swore by that and an occasional rub down with Sevin dust. Of course, that was before the vet had all this new stuff.

poohbear

The feed through pills from the vet work very well. We would use them starting about April, I used the monthly pills but would give it every other month, saw great results. Last dose around Sept then give their system a chance to get it out of their system and recover.

Please be aware, you are essentially poisoning your animal, very lightly but it is a poison. So are a lot of other things we give them as well as what we eat. It can cause seizures and other issues, we never had any issues that we know for sure was caused by the pills. 1 did have seizures later, never figured out why. 2 developed CHF. 1 went blind and developed spleen cancer and 1 some sort of self immune disease.
I'm not saying any of these were caused by the pills, I'm also saying they were not. Just putting it out there.

Just know what ever you try, you must break the life cycle or you will never see a flea less animal. Kill the adults, let the eggs hatch and kill them or use a IGR (insect growth regulator) to keep the eggs from hatching.
This is what my wife is thinking , yes everyone says it is safe for your dog but we have had one develop a heart mermer and the other kidney deseise and she just don’t want to use it any more. And the vets won’t deny that it caused these symptoms . Just think about it , it kills the fleas so why should it not hurt the dog . Especially in the little guys. I know it’s a hard battle with out the meds just don’t want to risk it anymore. Just thought there might be something more natural one could use to either repel or kill them

SarahFair

This is what my wife is thinking , yes everyone says it is safe for your dog but we have had one develop a heart mermer and the other kidney deseise and she just don’t want to use it any more. And the vets won’t deny that it caused these symptoms . Just think about it , it kills the fleas so why should it not hurt the dog . Especially in the little guys. I know it’s a hard battle with out the meds just don’t want to risk it anymore. Just thought there might be something more natural one could use to either repel or kill them
Look into diatomaceous earth.. it's not a cure all, but its all natural and can be used indoors and out.

ucfireman

There used to be a place close to me that would offer a "flea dip" during the summer.
It was basically a mix of permethrin and would pour it on the dog and you just let it dry on the dog. Used a bath tub and just poured it over the dog and kind of rubbed and brushed it in.
I know some would get absorbed through the skin but it would kill the fleas.
We would wash them good too to get the eggs off the back etc. They stick really well to the fur and skin.

Don't use permethrin on cats!!!!!!
While permethrin is frequently used as an insecticide and is safe around many animals, it is highly toxic to cats. One of the most commonly reported poisoning in cats is permethrin.
Look into diatomaceous earth.. it's not a cure all, but its all natural and can be used indoors and out.
I know you can use it as a feed though for internal parasites too. I guess if rubbed onto/into the fur it might be able to kill the fleas.
My understanding is it kind of cuts the skin/shell of the insect and they dehydrate and die.

Another thought might be garlic. I have heard about feeding it to farm animals to keep flies away. May make the blood taste bad and keep the fleas off.
I don't know and I would talk to the vet 1st to be sure its not a problem for dogs.

Disregard
Is It Safe for Dogs to Eat Garlic? Garlic might be good for people, but dogs metabolize certain foods differently than we do. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, garlic and other members of the allium family, including onions, contain thiosulfate, which is toxic to dogs but not to humans.

poohbear

Yes I used some of that on a outside dog we had don’t know if it worked or not , but for inside dog it would be a little messy as they would come back in and get on the sofa.

ryanh487

Stay away from ANYTHING Hartz brand and you should be good. A great flea shampoo though is equal parts blue dawn dish soap, white vinegar, and water. Lather, soak for 10 minutes, then rinse. Flea traps can also be put around the house to capture any living in flooring or furniture.

Baroque Brass

Our dogs are inside dogs, they get preventative meds monthly all year long. The occasional tick will be dead when we find it.

poohbear

Wife said we were using nexgaurd when the other dogs had problems. I know a lot of dogs use this with no problems ,but it says on the label that they can , and ours did so we choose not to risk it again. Guess I’ll try and find something that works

crackerdave

20 Mule Team borax will kill fleas,ticks,roaches,etc.but not dogs or humans.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

Read the side affects on the pills, my lab never had tremons until I gave him Simpirica.

A rub down in vegetable oil, bath in dawn, then hartz flea shampoo.

Have to treat the house also. I use black flag spray and put out flea traps, a light over a frisbee of water with a little dawn detergent to break the surface area. Lots of vacuuming and shampòo/steam cleaning prior to spray.

Finally treat the yard with sprays or granules.

Cedar bedding/oil really helps keep them away also.

You can also use sheep dip, we did it for years before frontline then pills came out

Hillbilly stalker

There are a lot of things that will kill fleas on your dog. But nothing that keeps other fleas repelled . The very best thing you can do is keep them out of your yard. Keep the yard cut and weeds trimmed. No old lumber laying around. Every spring I put granules out during* the spring rains. It seems to keep them from ever getting started. It there is ever a sign of a flea, I mix 1 oz of permethrin per gallon of water and spray the area or yard right before dark. It will kill everything that crawls. Ten days to 2 weeks later….spray again. Never letting them get started is the best way to win.

WOODIE13

There are a lot of things that will kill fleas on your dog. But nothing that keeps other fleas repelled . The very best thing you can do is keep them out of your yard. Keep the yard cut and weeds trimmed. No old lumber laying around. Every spring I put granules out during* the spring rains. It seems to keep them from ever getting started. It there is ever a sign of a flea, I mix 1 oz of permethrin per gallon of water and spray the area or yard right before dark. It will kill everything that crawls. Ten days to 2 weeks later….spray again. Never letting them get started is the best way to win.
You can track them in the house on your shoes also.

Had to battle them for 2 weeks, got them out of the carpet pretty easy and the rest of the house minus the master bedroom on hardwood floor.

Washed everything, sprayed everything multiple times, put off 4 flea bombs, finally got them under control. Used my own little flea trap with water and dawn below a light, normally catch the 160" ones. 2 week life cycle typicaly from egg to adult. The bomb and spray are suppose to stop the cycle and it finally did.

We did sprinkle salt in the carpet, supposed to dry them out and it seemed to work.

Lots of vacuuming and shampooing

20230822_092829.jpg20230822_092639.jpg

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

I got behind the 8 ball this spring running back and forth to my dad’s estate. I’ve spent a couple hundred dollars over it. They got on my Feist, I dipped him, bought a $75 dollar pill, sprayed him again dipped him several more times and sprayed the yard several times. Set the flea traps in the house and used the bombs. I’m finally shed off them, but it’s been a battle. I won’t break my normal routine again .

WOODIE13

I got behind the 8 ball this spring running back and forth to my dad’s estate. I’ve spent a couple hundred dollars over it. They got on my Feist, I dipped him, bought a $75 dollar pill, sprayed him again dipped him several more times and sprayed the yard several times. Set the flea traps in the house and used the bombs. I’m finally shed off them, but it’s been a battle. I won’t break my normal routine again .
Don't take much. A buddy had them in his house, then in his camper in NC.