Flyfishing Colorado

TarponStalker

My son lives near Houston (me in FL) and he suggested that he and I meet in Denver for a quick fishing trip in early Sept. It’ll only be about 3 days. Do any of you have a suggestion on wadeable river(s) within 1-2 hours of Denver ? Ive traveled all over the West but never in Colorado. It seems all I hear is how crowded the hunting woods are there. I hope the rivers aren’t the same.
The only river I’ve ever heard much about is the Frying Pan but that’s been decades ago.
Any suggestions are surely appreciated.

Concrete Pete

I come not with a helpful answer, but a question:

Do a lot of Texans go to recreate in CO?

I heard Coloradans whining about this a lot, but have no idea if it’s accurate.

For my money, you can never have enough Texans.

TarponStalker

I’m really not sure but yes I’ve heard them talk about Texans hunting there. I guess it’s the closest elk state to Texas. At least with OTC tags.

TarponStalker

We need to pick one area I think and stay with it. Unfortunately with such little time we can’t do much scouting. I’m sure we will have fun no matter what or where. As they say “ trout don’t live in ugly places “. I have to get my Rocky fix every year or so.

TheTroutWhisperer

May need to drive a little more than 2 hours from Denver. The Colorado River below Kremmling would be good, plenty of public access. The Frying Pan gets hammered but if you get in there right at daylight might not be bad. I will be out that way myself end of September. Will fish the Roaring Fork and the Taylor.. can't wait! Give us a report when you get back.

Tight Lines

Are you self guiding or getting guides? September will be tough in some areas due to water level and temperature...but some beautiful scenery...depending on where you are...

I like some of the smaller streams...if you go to South Park, the Tarryall, Platte, Arkansas, Colorado are all good...the Taylor tailwater is epic beautiful browns...I like the Blue...if you go to Vail and fish with someone like Gorsuch they can get you on the Eagle, the Piney, etc. all out of one spot...favorite shops are Gorsuch, the Blue Quill, and The Flyfisher.

PM your address and I can send you a map...

gunnurse

X10 on the South Platte around Deckers. Easy access, very wadable. September may be spotty due to temp change/weather. It could be very cold and/or snowy. Just follow the road that turns left before the bridge at the shops. The folks at Clear Creek Outdoors are very nice and accommodating. Check them out.

Tight Lines

I can't tell you how many Texas plates I've seen in CO. Most of the time it is benign, but they are always the ones on the side of I-70 on the way back into town during ski season with the brakes on fire...

Yeah, you can't ride that grade all the way down with your foot on the brake... :)