Moving back to Georgia- Questions/Help needed!

Benito

Hey Folks- After living in Alabama the past 7 years, we’re finally moving back to Atlanta! We’re very excited to be coming back to Georgia, but Im looking for some advice/tips on getting back up to speed with Bass Fishing in that area! Any help or suggestions on the following would be GREATLY appreciated!

1) Bass Fishing is my obsession, and prefer small/medium sized water. I currently have a small, electric Jon Boat, that I may bring or might sell, not sure yet.

2) Main questions are about suggestions on WHERE to fish? Not asking for private info or Honey-Holes, but in particular:

A) Are there any Membership or “Club” Bass Fishing opportunities within a couple of hours of Atlanta? Places you can pay a yearly fee and have access to fish? (I’ve been a member of “Donavan Lakes” Club in Alabama, and it’s fantastic- but nearly 4 hours away from Atlanta….:(

B) Varner and Stone Mountain- Haven’t fished either in years, use to go to both pretty frequently, would love to know in general how they have been recently Bass-Fishing wise?

C) Any other suggestions or advice on options within 2 hours or less for a Bass fanatic, who will either have only a small Jon Boat, or possibly no Boat at all?

Thank y’all in advance- and can’t wait to finally be back in GA!

Ben

basshappy

BANNED
@Benito are you fishing for big bass or any bass?

If any bass within 2 hours of metro Atlanta there are many places to fish on foot, yak or jon boat. If lunker large bass options diminish.

Big7

The Oracle
Hey Folks- After living in Alabama the past 7 years, we’re finally moving back to Atlanta! We’re very excited to be coming back to Georgia, but Im looking for some advice/tips on getting back up to speed with Bass Fishing in that area! Any help or suggestions on the following would be GREATLY appreciated!

1) Bass Fishing is my obsession, and prefer small/medium sized water. I currently have a small, electric Jon Boat, that I may bring or might sell, not sure yet.

2) Main questions are about suggestions on WHERE to fish? Not asking for private info or Honey-Holes, but in particular:

A) Are there any Membership or “Club” Bass Fishing opportunities within a couple of hours of Atlanta? Places you can pay a yearly fee and have access to fish? (I’ve been a member of “Donavan Lakes” Club in Alabama, and it’s fantastic- but nearly 4 hours away from Atlanta….:(

B) Varner and Stone Mountain- Haven’t fished either in years, use to go to both pretty frequently, would love to know in general how they have been recently Bass-Fishing wise?

C) Any other suggestions or advice on options within 2 hours or less for a Bass fanatic, who will either have only a small Jon Boat, or possibly no Boat at all?

Ben
Varner is one of the best electric lakes in the state. Plenty of Bass, Crappie, Brim and the Catfish are getting bigger every year.

More hydrilla here lately so please wash your boat and prop before putting in somewhere else.

WaltL1

There are a number of jon boat clubs and tournaments also. Do a search to narrow it down to the area you will be in.

BeerThirty

There are several reservoirs that have good bass populations, including very big bass. Your challenge will be that some are restricted to county residents only.

Benito

Thanks, folks- appreciate the info! Wondering if there are also any Fishing “Club” type places in Georgia that allow fishing for a fee or Membership as well?

westcobbdog

Thanks, folks- appreciate the info! Wondering if there are also any Fishing “Club” type places in Georgia that allow fishing for a fee or Membership as well?
Plenty around, I sometimes hunt in Hancock County and my deer / turkey club is a bass fishing club. What county are you targeting gvyo move to?

Benito

We’ll be moving to Atlanta, in-town. Any suggestions for Clubs somewhat close to there? Thanks in advance….

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Sweetwater park can be great from a boat.

needmotime2fish

Ben
It's a long drive from Atlanta, and I'd definitely contact them to check on their rules and fees before going there the first time, but you might look at Brickyard Ponds in Augusta. There are about 20 lakes of various sizes on the property of what was once an old quarry. At one time they offered both daily access for a fee, and a prepaid membership. Try Google for contact info if you're interested.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Yep, this insane price put a halt for me heading south to fish Fayette county lakes.

What are the Parking fees for Lake McIntosh Park?
All vehicles with a Non-Fayette County tag must display an annual pass for admission. An annual pass can be purchased for $300.
I’ve always wondered how that and “county residents only” would hold up in court of someone put up a serious challenge

JWF III

These may have been listed in the” electric only” link, but similar to Varner, there is Black Shoals. Which is between Conyers and Loganville. There is another, newer, reservoir that I don’t know the name of. It is located between Social Circle and Fairplay.

I’ve fished neither, but heard good things about each. I’m just not set up for electric only.

Wyman

Big7

The Oracle
I forgot about Juliette, I guess because it's not strictly an electric lake. It is suited for electric boats and has a 25hp limit on gas motors so at least you don't gave to worry about getti g flipped over.

Lot of big LM and Striper in there and the old guy at Juliette Bait Shop knows what's biting and when. He likes to talk a lot. He has all kinds of live bait caught in Juliette and on the Ocmulgee. Some of it, I ain't ever seen.

The water is very clear there and Gar will mess with your top water baits but not to bad.

The camp sites are as good as any and the bathrooms and showers are kept clean at all times.

They close during deer season, or used to because they don't want it turned into a hunting camp.

I'd give it a good 8 and I don't give no 10's

Njoseph2

Ben
Any luck finding a club? I’ve been here three years and been struggling to find anything.

Latest posts