Flyin in the Flint

TOMBUKTU

Lookin to head over to the Flint here pretty soon to wrestle with some Shoalies. Never been, but I'm thinkin about startin in Sprewell Bluff SP. Any suggestions? Does anyone have any other recommended put in points?

WinMag.300

pm

pm sent, one of my fav places.

WinMag.300

you on the flint?

I often use anything that will imitate a helgramite, and like to use bead chain eye streamers, and around may/june will switch to wasp and other dry fly patterns. What about you. Often the drift is just as important for a shoalie as it is for trout and is often overlooked the most on warmwater river fish.

Stealth bombers, big puglisi poppers, and pencil poppers are my favorite patterns. Also like clousers and half n halfs.

WinMag.300

stealth bomber

Thats a must have for shoalies and really any warm water species.

Ever try the HUGE puglisi poppers? I mean the jointed sailfish ones? River bass love them... It's fun. I tried it after watching a friend catch a 3lb spot under my kayak once on a peacock bass lure... I mean the big wood chopper stuff by High Roller lures...

rspringer

I am a rookie, but you can fish a bomber on a fly rod? I fish a good deal on the hoochie and just getting into catching them on the fly rod, but they love the top water when it gets warmer. The bigger the better but thats on a baitcaster, hadn't figured out the fly rod part yet.

Sorry for hijacking the thread if I did so.

allenww

Fly rods and stealth bombers

Sure you can. The devil, though is in the details. With my four weight rod and a matching line, a 6 or 8 stealth is the max I can cast. It is comfortable with a #10.

A six weight with equivalent line or one up could probably handle a 2.

Wind resistance and weight are real factors with any
foam bug. I like to tie stealths with a little flash and marabou for a tail, and legs, which bulks them up.

wa

I am a rookie, but you can fish a bomber on a fly rod? I fish a good deal on the hoochie and just getting into catching them on the fly rod, but they love the top water when it gets warmer. The bigger the better but thats on a baitcaster, hadn't figured out the fly rod part yet.

Sorry for hijacking the thread if I did so.

What are you calling a bomber? Just to make sure we are all on the same page.

WinMag.300

poppers

never tried the pulgisi poppers. Sounds fun though and I bet they explode on those things...I often throw a size 4 or six stimulator and dance it across the top at the end of my drift and they explode out of the water for it.

TOMBUKTU

POPPERS! What bass can resist? I caught a 3 lb in a pond this weekend on a cheap walley world popper. Big Clousers and buggers are also in my arsenal and have proven themselves.

WinMag.300

poppers....

I fish poppers all the time but never the sailfish style pulgisi poppers that celticfisherman was referring to.

I fish poppers all the time but never the sailfish style pulgisi poppers that celticfisherman was referring to.

Try it!!!

Course you got to carry the 8 and 9 wt for it but hey!!!! The strike alone is worth it!!!