Fort Yargo Quota Hunt

AMBarritt

Gonna go down this afternoon to look around and go to the mandatory meeting at 6. Im gonna try to post some stuff like the guy did on Don Carter if i can. Really dont know what to expect as this is my first state park hunt. Hopefully i can squeeze in somewhere i have been a couple of times and looked over the area i picked but it looks like a lot of folks gonna be jammed in tight.
Yeah I'll be there at the meeting tonight. I did a little scouting in the zone I picked. There are definitely a couple zones that will be crowded

TonyP62

It’s 85 and that is way too many on this park. It needs to be 35
They stressed safety in the mandatory meeting last night but then tell you how jammed in we are gonna be. Less people would be far safer instead of packing people in. Guess i will see in the morning if i go to my primary spot, plan B, or plan C.

DannyW

Good lord, I just looked up Fort Yargo SP. It is a total of 1,816 acres with 260 acres being the lake. That leaves 1,556 acres of woods. But looking at the hunting map, it looks like approximately 25% are set aside as safety/no hunting zones.

That means 85 hunters will be sharing roughly 1,200 acres, or 14 acres per hunter. The park is only 20 minutes from me, I've been camping there a couple of times, but no thanks on hunting there with those numbers.

Just remember the age-old deer hunting rule: only one hunter per tree!

TonyP62

Good lord, I just looked up Fort Yargo SP. It is a total of 1,816 acres with 260 acres being the lake. That leaves 1,556 acres of woods. But looking at the hunting map, it looks like approximately 25% are set aside as safety/no hunting zones.

That means 85 hunters will be sharing roughly 1,200 acres, or 14 acres per hunter. The park is only 20 minutes from me, I've been camping there a couple of times, but no thanks on hunting there with those numbers.

Just remember the age-old deer hunting rule: only one hunter per tree!
Im gonna give it a go in the morning i set up in a spot hopefully its not too crowded where im at. I have safety zone behind me so maybe i can keep anyone from coming in behind me.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Time to hunt from a boat sounds like.

Good luck

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Am I reading y’all correctly, they had the mandatory meeting on Sunday night and the hunt starts Tuesday ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
2 meeting times to pick from. One on Sunday night, one tonight. Hunt starts tomorrow

Makes sense now.

I seem to remember the first hunt they had about 15 years ago. Someone killed about a dozen.

TonyP62

Had a good hunt this morning i havent shot a deer in 11 years i kinda had other things going but shot a 3 pointer right after daylight. Saw some other deer but didnt really want to shoot another one with one on the ground already. Maybe in the morning i can get another.

AMBarritt

Had a good hunt this morning i havent shot a deer in 11 years i kinda had other things going but shot a 3 pointer right after daylight. Saw some other deer but didnt really want to shoot another one with one on the ground already. Maybe in the morning i can get another.
I'll be there trying to get another one too buddy. Gonna be another chilly one looks like.

TonyP62

Well i had a good hunt only got the one deer could have shot a couple more but it didnt work out. They got smart quick today was slower than yesterday. I never had anyone come in on me or close to me but i picked a spot that a lot of people probably wouldnt have. DNR should still rethink the number of people drawn because if all 85 had showed up it would have been very tight.

Last edited:

Latest posts