Frost Coming!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
YIKES!!
It’s too early for the “blackberry winter”. I guess this can be Easter winter.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
All I've got in danger would be pears,about three years ago lost every one to cold snap.

jmfauver

Think we will get to about 33 that morning, will be interesting got the fish messed up already

Shadow11

Had a light frost this morning. Truck had a good frosting, grass had a little bit. Still nearly a month away from planting the garden here in north habersham. Expecting sub freezing Friday morning here. The jap maples just busted open with leaves 2 days ago. They'll probably get fried!

Redbow

We are suppose to have frost Friday morning here in our area, down to around 33 degrees. Then in the thirties Saturday morning as well. Somehow it seems around Easter time a cold front often comes thru but not every year.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Yep, took me twice to learn not to plant before Easter.

April 7 is the last frost date for my area. That date is from historical records and is the most common date for the last frost but the last frost could be earlier or later than the last frost date.
Usually fruit trees are OK post bloom unless the temperature gets to 30F for two hours or longer.
A good chart for critical temps for various fruit trees:
https://www.canr.msu.edu/uploads/files/TreeFruitCriticalTemperatures.pdf

Redbow

Now they have changed the frost advisory for us to a freeze warning for a couple of nights. After many warm days here the cold weather is going to pinch for a bit.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Easter cold snap as told by most all the old people I knew. Doesn't hardly ever miss,I say hardly ever to be on the safe side,I can't remember when it didn't.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The last cold snap always happens about 7 days after i take a risk on some warm season plants and put them in the garden.
You might consider writing that up in "flowery" words and submitting it to the scientific community. Who knows you might get a government grant to do more research.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One of those mysteries,It's above my paygrade to say why.

I have known the reason for the varying date for Easter for many years. It still doesn’t make sense even knowing the “logic”.
Easter is observed on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. Now who came up with that???

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I have known the reason for the varying date for Easter for many years. It still doesn’t make sense even knowing the “logic”.
Easter is observed on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. Now who came up with that???
?? can’t say,but the Good Lord knows the right date

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Probably an astronomer? Older civilizations went by the stars and the moon and celebrated each equinoxes and solstice each year. Two of each. Even our forefathers lived by the signs. We have lost most of that knowledge and depend on almanacs to give that information to us.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If the observation date was set in modern times it would probably be something like the first Sunday in April or similar.