Funny Motor Issue

trippcasey

My brother and I went out last night with his son to do some sunset fishing and flounder gigging. We decide to take a narrow shallow short cut at dead low tide. I start to idle in there with my motor trimmed up, and of course we drag bottom a little. We suck up some sand and it partially plugs the pee hole. So we drop anchor and I take the cover off to blow the line out. No big deal. I go to put the cover back on and it wont clamp down properly. I mess with it for a minute and get it clamped down, but it took some force. Now the motor wont run right. No power. First thing that comes to mind is starving for air, so I shut it down and take the cover back off. She runs like a top. I put the cover back on. She runs like crap. By now its dark. I cant see well behind the motor. I fire off the motor and go to remove the cover while she is running. As soon as I touch the latch, it lights me up. I mean it shocked the mess out of me. We decide to make it a short night and limp back to the dock. I woke up this morning still stumped by what is going on. I go out to my boat and remove the cover, only to find I had pinched a plug wire with the cover. I knocked it out of its clamp when I blew the water hose out. When I clamped the cover down, it grounded out the plug wire, shocked the religion out of me, and starved that cylinder of fire. I couldnt help but laugh at myself. Im glad it isnt an expensive fix, and Im off this morning for tune up parts. We still came home with two fish, even though we spent most of the time trying to see what the problem was. Neither of us could see the wire pinched all the way at the back and bottom of the motor. Moral of the story is: If it dont fit, dont force it. You might get the mess shocked out of you if you do.

Lukikus2

Yeh, alot of harnesses are ran right along the cover and easy to pinch. Glad ya'll made it back in.