Garage shad tank design

dang

DANG !!!
Anyone have a good recommendation on design for a garage tank to keep large shad alive for multiple days? I’ve got a creek bank and an extreme for the boat but they’re both 30 gallons because I’m strapped for space on my boat. Would like something in the garage I can load ahead of multiple trips with 6-12in gizzards and transfer what I need to the boat tanks for each trip. Looking for recommendations on size and design. My gut says 300-500 gallons. Design I’m not sure on.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Anyone have a good recommendation on design for a garage tank to keep large shad alive for multiple days? I’ve got a creek bank and an extreme for the boat but they’re both 30 gallons because I’m strapped for space on my boat. Would like something in the garage I can load ahead of multiple trips with 6-12in gizzards and transfer what I need to the boat tanks for each trip. Looking for recommendations on size and design. My gut says 300-500 gallons. Design I’m not sure o
Your cuz doesn't have anything?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I know a guy that does something similar and he uses one of the galvanized cow water troughs from tractor supply .

across the river

I know a guy that does something similar and he uses one of the galvanized cow water troughs from tractor supply .
This, but I would go with the plastic one and put a valve on the bottom you can pipe to connect a water hose to drain the water out when you want to clean it out. If you are going to hold them any length of time you will need charcoal filter. Aerator you could probably get by with a air stone bubble setup, but if I am
Going through that much effort I would put a recirculating pump with a Venturi.

dang

DANG !!!
This, but I would go with the plastic one and put a valve on the bottom you can pipe to connect a water hose to drain the water out when you want to clean it out. If you are going to hold them any length of time you will need charcoal filter. Aerator you could probably get by with a air stone bubble setup, but if I am
Going through that much effort I would put a recirculating pump with a Venturi.

This is perfect. Good advice on the charcoal - appreciate that

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my bad I thought you were somebody else (in real life)
I think @Dustin Pate has or had 1.
Mine is 110 gallon stock tank. It does what I need it to do. I have a center drain put in mine that feeds to a 30 gallon submerged bed bio style filter. My filter feeds from the bottom and the layers consist of lava rock, pea gravel, and sand. It also has a PVC pipe system that allows me to hook my air hose to it and blow air though those layers periodically to clean them.

A mag pump is in between the two pushing the water. I also have an additional 500 gph pump feeding a venturi on the side wall of my tank for additional air.

There are 1000 different ways to do them honestly. A simple bucket style filter is used by a ton of folks and it works great. If you want to take a deep dive, look online at the folks that keep KOI fish long term. They have some killer setups that definitely work for shad. Tons of videos on simple bucket style setups as well.

dang

DANG !!!
Mine is 110 gallon stock tank. It does what I need it to do. I have a center drain put in mine that feeds to a 30 gallon submerged bed bio style filter. My filter feeds from the bottom and the layers consist of lava rock, pea gravel, and sand. It also has a PVC pipe system that allows me to hook my air hose to it and blow air though those layers periodically to clean them.

A mag pump is in between the two pushing the water. I also have an additional 500 gph pump feeding a venturi on the side wall of my tank for additional air.

There are 1000 different ways to do them honestly. A simple bucket style filter is used by a ton of folks and it works great. If you want to take a deep dive, look online at the folks that keep KOI fish long term. They have some killer setups that definitely work for shad. Tons of videos on simple bucket style setups as well.
That’s enough to get me started, thanks Dustin. How many baits can you keep alive and for roughly how long in that setup? Understanding that it’s size dependant