Gas Grill Recommendation

hopper

My Charbroil Grill has rusted. The grill plates have fallen. I mostly kept the original cover on it except for the occasional oops. Got it at Lowes 3 yrs ago which is about the time frame I normally get from these grills.
What should I replace it with? Any brands that can take the abuse of weather better? Would like to stay under $1300.
Thinking of building a small roof over the grill to keep rain off this one.

Mattval

Char broil Infrared

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Weber for a grill, a good pellet smoker is a game changer but they don’t do the same thing.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I bit the bullet on a Weber Spirit E-210 gas grill about 10 years ago. Simple two burner unit with the gas valve controls on the side table. A Home Depot Exclusive, and season closeout with the cast iron grill plates which Lowe's didn't offer at the time.

The Weber replaced a much bigger fancy looking stainless grill with a side burner that might have made it 3 seasons if it hadn't completely rusted through.

I replaced the burner control valve once, and the flavor bars once with thick stainless ones. Replacement parts easy to get, easy to install. Other than that, it sits on the covered back porch no grill soft cover, and has worked flawlessly. Best money ever spent.

Last edited:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Look like your local Lowes has a pretty good price on this 4 burner Weber Genesis. Can't say about leaving it out in the elements year round, but it looks like a lot of grill for your stated budget. Weber's OEM price is $ 1,649, Lowes showing $1,199.00. Reviews looking pretty favorable.
44889026.jpg

Weber Genesis E-435

Hmmm...different listing for $ 1649.00, what am I missing here?
Genesis E-435

Edit: So the $ 1,199.00 unit is not stocked, but is free delivery. Must be leftover stock of prior model. Seems like a deal to me, same burner specs, grill area, etc. just no "smart app" whoopty do.

Great...Thanks. Now y'all got me looking at new Weber grills that I don't need! :banginghe

Last edited:

GeorgiaGlockMan

Look like your local Lowes has a pretty good price on this 4 burner Weber Genesis. Can't say about leaving it out in the elements year round, but it looks like a lot of grill for your stated budget. Weber's OEM price is $ 1,649, Lowes showing $1,199.00. Reviews looking pretty favorable.
44889026.jpg

Weber Genesis E-435

Genesis E-435

Edit: So the $ 1,199.00 unit is not stocked, but is free delivery. Must be leftover stock of prior model. Seems like a deal to me, same burner specs, grill area, etc. just no "smart app" whoopty do.
I have had a previous model of the Genesis for almost 10 years.

Have used it at least a couple times a week average. Keep it uncovered in back yard.

Absolutely a great gas grill. If this one had a tree fall on it, I would replace it tomorrow.

Buford_Dawg

Have a new Weber Spirit grill being delivered today. Replacing a 20 year old Weber that we bought when we purchased our current home. Go with the Weber...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have a few friends with the rectec bullseye. I was throughly impressed. It's about the size of a weber and get to 700 degrees. It costs less that 500 I believe

I bought a demo Traeger at Costco. Got a good discount as they wouldn’t have to box it back up. It’s a great smoker, set the temp and walk away. It’s not a grill for high temp cooking at all.

TJay

44889026.jpg

Weber Genesis E-435

Genesis E-435

Great...Thanks. Now y'all got me looking at new Weber grills that I don't need! :banginghe

treemanjohn

Banned
I bought a demo Traeger at Costco. Got a good discount as they wouldn’t have to box it back up. It’s a great smoker, set the temp and walk away. It’s not a grill for high temp cooking at all.
I have an old rec tec. It will get to 450. I put a cast iron skillet and let it get to temperature and it does a nice job searing and putting a crust on pizza. Not great

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have an old rec tec. It will get to 450. I put a cast iron skillet and let it get to temperature and it does a nice job searing and putting a crust on pizza. Not great

We love pizza out of the Traeger. Got a stone and buy fresh dough in the bakery section at Kroger. Throw our favorite toppings on and it’s great.

DannyW

Another vote for Weber. I broke down and paid up for one back in 2012. Got the NG version for convenience. I use it 3-4 times a week so I figure it's got maybe 2,000 grills on it and looks good for another 2,000. And I don't even cover it! (I know, I know.)

During the 2020 Covid shut down I tore it down and thoroughly cleaned it. I also replaced the flavorizer bars like others have. The gas vents looked exceptionally clean, no rust whatsoever. And the cast iron grates are perfectly seasoned. I religiously spray and clean the grates before and after grilling.

The starter did go out 3-4 years ago and I have not replaced it.

It cost a couple hundred more than the others but I have never had a grill last this long.

Havana Dude

Weber. On my second one after 15 years on the first. I spent a little money on the first one over the years, but the grill itself is still in decent shape. I just haven’t tossed it yet.

DannyW

Weber for a grill, a good pellet smoker is a game changer but they don’t do the same thing.

Good point. A friend bought a pellet grill and invited a bunch of us guys over for a cook out. He put some bacon on the pellet grill to show us how well it cooked, turned it up, and that bacon took forever to get crispy...at least 30 minutes and maybe closer to an hour.

Maybe some are better than others at grilling but his sure isn't.

pacecars

I went with a Napoleon Natural gas grill. If you already have natural gas at your home it is worth never running out of propane. Not sure about Lowes but you can get them at Home Depot. They also make them for propane

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Weber here too.
10 year guarantee and I believe the secret is that the gas burners are further from the cooking grates, that makes a huge difference in fire control and not burning your food. I've only had mine for five years and need to replace the enamel flavorizers over the burners. But that's it. It's been used a lot too.