georgia NWTF money suggestions

Gaswamp

First of all, I don't want this thread to turn into a bashing of the NWTF.

I am hopeful that there are some folks that use this forum that are NWTF Georgia state committee members. I know that supposedly they meet every year to come up with projects to spend money on what NWTF generates from banquets held in Georgia. My hope is that some of the folks that use this forum can generate some ideas for the NWTF boys in spending this money in Georgia on improving habitat.

I am hearing from the Georgia Forestry boys in counties that I spend time in that there is a need for some equipment. Both Crisp and Wilcox have the inverted v blades on their dozers which are great for plowing firebreaks. However, they tell me that they have been requesting straight blades to help comeback and level out the original breaks. This would help with water runoff and maintaining breaks and roads for better habitat improvement.

Hopefully some other guys here have some worthwhile project or equipment ideas that could make it up to the NWTF Georgia state hierarchy for some possible money grants.

Riverrat84

Maybe they could partner with DNR to do some extensive management on a couple of the wma’s where turkeys are on the verge of disappearing completely. Maybe they could be shut down for 2 years, plant some chufa and clover fields in the pine monoculture areas with nesting cover close to these good food sources. Trap them extensively, and burn them at an appropriate time mabey. It would be interesting to see what effect that would have. And maybe that could be rotated to a couple other areas in rough shape every couple years.

Gaswamp

Maybe they could partner with DNR to do some extensive management on a couple of the wma’s where turkeys are on the verge of disappearing completely. Maybe they could be shut down for 2 years, plant some chufa and clover fields in the pine monoculture areas with nesting cover close to these good food sources. Trap them extensively, and burn them at an appropriate time mabey. It would be interesting to see what effect that would have. And maybe that could be rotated to a couple other areas in rough shape every couple years.
what wmas do you have in mind?

buckpasser

I don’t mean to sound pessimistic, but giving GFC straight blades won’t do much for turkeys IMO. Giving it to DNR would be like giving the fox some more hens! They are currently in charge and actively managing for pine wasteland, albeit longleaf/wiregrass beautiful pine wasteland. Poor burn timing, poor hunting timing, poor choices all the way around should not be rewarded!

It’s not my money, but if it were I’d probably spend it either on turkey research (contact Ricky Lackey of NWTF) where we can all learn something for the future, or some sort of direct payment to a third party contractor to do work on public land with permission. That might include planting chufa, harrowing, burning at the correct time of year, etc (if DNR would even allow it).

buckpasser

Also, @Gaswamp I believe all GFC offices already have harrows for using after year 1 of the plow but Rangers don’t really stay long enough to be good operators anymore. A V blade, a GFC pull type harrow, and a decent Ranger can make a great break without the need for a straight blade or 6 way blade.

Gaswamp

Also, @Gaswamp I believe all GFC offices already have harrows for using after year 1 of the plow but Rangers don’t really stay long enough to be good operators anymore. A V blade, a GFC pull type harrow, and a decent Ranger can make a great break without the need for a straight blade or 6 way blade.
turnover is definitely high. However, the head honcho with Wilcox and crisp have both told me they could do a lot more habitat work with a straight blade.

Gaswamp

Also guys, I think it would be good for funding ideas that can help enhance both private and public.

Kev

NWTF could contract with GFC and have foresters write the plan and certify the practice when it’s done. Prescribed burning, Disking, creating wildlife openings, ect…

You mentioned straight blade dozers. I do think it would be beneficial if every unit had a straight blade. That’s if they actually used it and did good work.

buckpasser

NWTF could contract with GFC and have foresters write the plan and certify the practice when it’s done. Prescribed burning, Disking, creating wildlife openings, ect…

You mentioned straight blade dozers. I do think it would be beneficial if every unit had a straight blade. That’s if they actually used it and did good work.

They won’t because they all just got there and will be gone next week. Also, they can’t keep them bolted on due to fire control needs. Besides all that, a good operator can do pretty work with a V blade.

Kev

They won’t because they all just got there and will be gone next week. Also, they can’t keep them bolted on due to fire control needs. Besides all that, a good operator can do pretty work with a V blade.
Yeh turnover is high in some counties but in others they’ve had the same guys for years. What’s funny is there’s some counties in middle ga that only have straight blades.

For Food plot and wildlife opening work, I’d say a straight blade would be better. That’s why I said one straight blade at a unit.

cowhornedspike

That would be good. Give people an incentive to leave 200 foot SMZs instead of the minimum.
Just make it the law and then fine the crap out of those who don't follow it and shut them down for a "time out" period.

Gaswamp

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the current law around smz's is 25ft on most waterways, maybe 50ft on trout streams in N. Georgia. Unfortunately, it has been my observation that there is not much enforcement around tree harvesting in south Georgia in these buffer areas

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t mean to sound pessimistic, but giving GFC straight blades won’t do much for turkeys IMO. Giving it to DNR would be like giving the fox some more hens! They are currently in charge and actively managing for pine wasteland, albeit longleaf/wiregrass beautiful pine wasteland. Poor burn timing, poor hunting timing, poor choices all the way around should not be rewarded!

It’s not my money, but if it were I’d probably spend it either on turkey research (contact Ricky Lackey of NWTF) where we can all learn something for the future, or some sort of direct payment to a third party contractor to do work on public land with permission. That might include planting chufa, harrowing, burning at the correct time of year, etc (if DNR would even allow it).
The early European explorers who came through the southeast in the 1700s described bountiful passels of turkeys in that "longleaf/wiregrass wasteland." Wasn't no chufa there.
But, I guess you know more than they did.:rolleyes: