Getting started: 4 acres of RR corn (up to 9.8 acres now)... praying for more rain

Jim Boyd

Time to really start working our new farm.

Have roughly 4 acres cut in - amongst some great bedding cover (planted pines and old cut down).

Got 100 lbs of corn and 3/4 ton 34-0-0 to work with.

Put down 750 lbs of the N today and about to try to calibrate the drill now for 24-26k seeds per acre. Not going to be an exact science and the rows ain’t gonna be perfect.

Wish I had a planter but you cannot always count on friends and club members to come through. No worries there, will do what I do - and do it the best I can.

If it grows, the deer won’t care how it got there.

Most of this is new ground and it has not been soil tested. Had 24k lbs lime put down a month or so ago (some went in yard / pecan orchard) so I am a little bit out on a limb here.

Best of luck to all - let’s pray for rain.

More pics to follow.

77CF79AF-500C-4BE3-8611-5B08B3D0989C.jpeg811DDDA0-F7FB-4D08-BF37-CB2CFC8D89D6.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Washed off tractors, dusty as can be today.

PM’s are up to date... time to work, men!

Geestring

Promised pics

More to come!

The Corona helps to make sure the rows are (less than) straight!!!!!

View attachment 1077162View attachment 1077163

Have roughly 4 acres cut in - amongst some great bedding cover (planted pines and old cut down).

Put down 750 lbs of the N today and about to try to calibrate the drill now for 24-26k seeds per acre. Not going to be an exact science and the rows ain’t gonna be perfect.

Wish I had a planter but you cannot always count on friends and club members to come through. No worries there, will do what I do - and do it the best I can.

Most of this is new ground and it has not been soil tested. Had 24k lbs lime put down a month or so ago (some went in yard / pecan orchard) so I am a little bit out on a limb here.

More pics to follow.

View attachment 1077160View attachment 1077161

More pics to follow.

View attachment 1077160View attachment 1077161
Looking good, I’m sure the game won’t care how straight or crooked your rows are. The farmer planted our lease in Screven co last week. Hopefully the rain will continue. Always seems like it stops as soon as the crops get planted and it’ll be as wet as can be from December thru March. Good luck!

Longhorn 16

Good looking work and I am sure very rewarding. If I may, what corn are you planting? I went to buy some Silver Queen until I got the quote! Planting for fun with the grands but got a little sticker shock today.

Jim Boyd

Good looking work and I am sure very rewarding. If I may, what corn are you planting? I went to buy some Silver Queen until I got the quote! Planting for fun with the grands but got a little sticker shock today.

This is just agriculture RR corn. Field corn for sure.....

Jim Boyd

Had some seed left in the drill so I planted 1.3 acres on club ground this morning.

My aim was off a bit, however and ended up with about 30k per acre if I have the ground calculated correctly.

? for rain now (same ritual every year).

Jim Boyd

Gonna rain like crazy Saturday (possible inch of rain) and then SOME chance of rain later that week.

Fingers crossed, love to get this corn up out of the ground.

ChattBuck

Gonna rain like crazy Saturday (possible inch of rain) and then SOME chance of rain later that week.

Fingers crossed, love to get this corn up out of the ground.

Same here. Been rushing to get my field ready to plant this week while having kids activities most days after school. Had planned to plant next week but that rain is too good to miss. Was tilling my field well after dark last night so I could plant today after work. Had some good views though.

Attachments

• Tilling.jpg
    Tilling.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 31

Meriwether Mike

Hope you get some of that needed rain Jim. That plowing looks great.