Getting started: 4 acres of RR corn (up to 9.8 acres now)... praying for more rain

seaduck

What kind of drill are you running? Looks good. We run a 2 row planter and works good for our sunflowers. Also run a single row JD for our RR corn. We plant 4 acres of sunflower and 3 acres of corn.

Jim Boyd

What kind of drill are you running? Looks good. We run a 2 row planter and works good for our sunflowers. Also run a single row JD for our RR corn. We plant 4 acres of sunflower and 3 acres of corn.

Hey SeaDuck

It is an old (and worn out) MF drill that was 10’ wide and I cut it in half.

I block off all but three of the openers and run corn through it.

It is far from perfect.

I had a one row IH planter I used for corn and it worked great but was sooooo slow. Unfortunately, a pine tree attacked it and broke the main frame apart.

Good luck with the SF and corn!

I have tried SF a few times but our deer won’t have it.

I have had to replant a few corn fields over the years also - as the deer and turkeys will wipe the field out if it gets planted too early.

Post up some pics!!!!

seaduck

sounds good. i will here shortly. corn is 6 inches and sunflower is just popping out the ground. love to see the start of a new dove season!!

seaduck

Well tomorrow makes 2 weeks since we planted our sunflowers. They are very sporadic. I really believe it’s these cool nights. It’s been high 30’s and low 40’s at night. Just can’t get any heat on them. Hopefully they start popping up before long because I sure don’t want them to rot. Lord planting is stressful!!

Jim Boyd

[QUOTE="seaduck, post: 12831634, member: 116700") Lord planting is stressful!![/QUOTE]

Yes... yes, it is.

We appear to have gotten good rain yesterday, will be down tomorrow night to check on the corn.

Fingers crossed.

ChattBuck

Well tomorrow makes 2 weeks since we planted our sunflowers. They are very sporadic. I really believe it’s these cool nights. It’s been high 30’s and low 40’s at night. Just can’t get any heat on them. Hopefully they start popping up before long because I sure don’t want them to rot. Lord planting is stressful!!

I did some reading a few weeks ago on sunflowers and soil temps. From what I recall this was the data I found. . .

<55 degrees it can take 2 weeks to germinate.
55-65 degrees about 1 week.
>65 3-4 days.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

You can always use a jack knife or screw driver, to dig up 3 feet of a row, in different spots and see what you got. Sprouted seeds? Seeds too deep? Rot? That might help you formulate a plan on what you should do. Wait or replant.

seaduck

yeah thats what im going to do. go check some spots. 39 this morning but it looks to be getting warmer every day.

Canuck5

Yeah, good idea ... hope it's not too late. Take some picture.

Canuck5

I assume your plots are up in VA?

ChattBuck

seaduck did you get any really heavy rains followed by sunny days after planting? That happened to me last year. Formed a crust on the soil. Corn came up through it but the sunflowers couldn't. Had to replant and they did well second time around.

doomtrpr_z71

You'd better go start digging, the avg soil temps for VA were low, but they should have been up by now.

Canuck5

seaduck did you get any really heavy rains followed by sunny days after planting? That happened to me last year. Formed a crust on the soil. Corn came up through it but the sunflowers couldn't. Had to replant and they did well second time around.

Just FWIW we used to use a rotary hoe, to do two things. One was to break up a crust, to let the germinated seed thru and the other was for weed control too.

You can probably find some of the old ones in fence rows, rusting away.

Rotary Hoe.PNG

seaduck

Well come to find out I made a huge mistake. We had a little sunflower left over from last year. I ran my hand through it all seemed well. Spun the tire on the planter and seed came out. So we added our new seed and started planting. Well after the heat the last few days sunflowers started popping up but only from one planter. Come to find out shortly after starting one side jammed with old wet seed. I dug up rows and there wasn’t a seed to be found. So we replanted last night. Didn’t finish til 9pm. Lesson learned. Hoppers are pulled off planter and completely cleaned out!!!! Yes we are up in Virginia. Only good thing field is very clean from pre emergence. We are a little late with this planting but if they haven’t dried out good enough by middle of august I will spray them.

Canuck5

Our neighbors used to tease my Father, sometimes, because they would find him, at planting time, digging 3 feet of a row from time to time. He'd do that to make sure the seed was going into moisture, that the correct spacing was being dropped and just the fact that seed was being put into the ground.

Everytime he lifted the planter, he'd turn around and look to see that he saw seed sitting on top of the ground, at each row end. I think he may have done something like you experienced, at one time, LOL!!

You won't make that mistake again! :) And someone else on here, just learned something too!

seaduck

That’s exactly what I did last night. Made sure they were falling out when lifting the planter and the wheel was still spinning. Even had to use the flashlight!! Haha