Got drawn

patton72

Hey Mike. I just posted on the general hunting about same thing. I got the notice this evening about the hunt on November 7-9. Been there fishing couple times but know nothing about the hunting.

I got selected for the 2nd hunt as well. Either sex. Never hunted here but have fished a few times. Guess I’m going to have to go do some scouting before November. I’ve heard there is a lot of deer there. Maybe not wall hangers but I’m more of a meat hunter anyhow, unless of course a booner walks by...

Mikec84

I've seen some good bucks taken from there but not sure how long ago that was. Idk we'll see. Maybe I'll stumble onto to something good

Full Draw McGraw

I doubt the second hunt would be too crowded.
The place has a good deer population and can grow big bucks too (i've seen some nice ones brought out), but as others have pointed out it draws out a "if it's brown it's down" type of crowd so most bucks don't live long.
Good luck. Post some pictures if you get one.

ucfireman

Not many good bucks they usualy shoot everything they see.
About 4 years ago I went to the range then drove around some. I went across a creek and walking in the creek was a BIG beautiful 10pt. I drove past then turned around to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. I did. This around 4pm and in Oct or Nov. They are there they just get sneaky like all other big old deer.

Todd E

You need to start scouting now. Have, at best, 4 go to spots just in case. There are those, who it seems, get drawn to hunt all the time and trust me.. they have it figured out. They bring out the nice ones.

Mikec84

The place has a good deer population and can grow big bucks too (i've seen some nice ones brought out), but as others have pointed out it draws out a "if it's brown it's down" type of crowd so most bucks don't live long.
Thanks, I hope I do!

splatek

UAEC

Hey man, I get the whole judgement call on the "brown it's down" crowd, but the hunt is listed as either sex, so I sort of thought that was the point. I only ask because as a new hunter, I signed up for either sex quota hunts because I want to be successful. However, I also want to do what's "right" and I've read a lot of the QDMA literature and have been learning about why we shoot old mature animals. But for me in my second season (1st full season) hunting, I want to harvest my first deer. I guess I should approach this as a doe or quality buck, or at least 4 points buck? Is that what your saying? I don't want to be that guy; but I'm also anxious to have success.

rugerfan

That is the point is to harvest a deer, whether it is a spike, a trophy buck or a doe. It is to give people the opportunity to hunt, and to harvest a deer.

biggdogg

Had a 170" toad killed on the 2nd hunt (iirr) 2 years ago. Both hunts are crowded and you have to work for it, but the deer are there.

Full Draw McGraw

Hey man, I get the whole judgement call on the "brown it's down" crowd, but the hunt is listed as either sex, so I sort of thought that was the point. I only ask because as a new hunter, I signed up for either sex quota hunts because I want to be successful. However, I also want to do what's "right" and I've read a lot of the QDMA literature and have been learning about why we shoot old mature animals. But for me in my second season (1st full season) hunting, I want to harvest my first deer. I guess I should approach this as a doe or quality buck, or at least 4 points buck? Is that what your saying? I don't want to be that guy; but I'm also anxious to have success.

I’m not telling you it’s wrong. A legal deer is a legal deer. Shoot whatever makes you happy (or fills the freezer) within the confines of the laws.

I was just trying to set a reasonable expectation for OP in regards to the chance of getting a nice buck.

splatek

UAEC
I’m not telling you it’s wrong. A legal deer is a legal deer. Shoot whatever makes you happy (or fills the freezer) within the confines of the laws.

I was just trying to set a reasonable expectation for OP in regards to the chance of getting a nice buck.

Copy that.
Don't get me wrong, I would love a scoreable stud for the meat and the wall, but being so new I have to set realistic expectations.

Fishin & Hunting

Some places a good population of pigs too.

Gbr5pb

I’m not in to the competition hunting! If it’s bigger than one I’ve already killed I’m going to try to get him! Being your new I would kill the first legal deer I could and be happy and proud!

Mikec84

Sounds like it'll be fun and I'll have the possibility to kill a nice buck. It's my first year putting in for a quota hunt so it'll def be an experience. Splatek shoot whatever makes you happy brother and holler at me if I'm down there I'll come give you a high five and help you clean it if need be.

Mk20rockeye

I’ll be on the same 2d hunt as well. I had it last year as well. Majority of folks hunted in the middle off the road it seemed. Only had one person walk upon me and he backed out once he saw me. Not a big deal. I had opportunity to kill deer, but passed. Was waiting for something bigger than I saw. This year, I’ll be the same way I’d imagine. I’ll be camped out the entire time there in the little campground.