Got Water? (March 14 Update)

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Updated a few posts down. ( March 14, 2020 )

March 7, 2020 - I've got plenty of water my way, if y'all need any. It's free! :bounce:

I can't even get to some of the areas I wanted to ride through and look. Will be interesting walking those woods, once the water goes down.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Below, part of the road swallowed up.

3.JPG

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Dang.. That next to the last pic looks like you have a river where a service road used to be !!??

Silver Britches

Dang.. That next to the last pic looks like you have a river where a service road used to be !!??
There are several homes further up the road past this washout. Just past those homes, on this same road, the road is washed out there, too. Those people in that van are basically trapped. There's no way for them to drive out, but I don't think it's flooded where those homes are, so they're most likely fine.

What the folks catching in picture 3?
I didn't actually speak with them, but I suspect they were catching minnows. Didn't want to get too close to them and make them feel uncomfortable.

wvdawg

Staff member
Wow!

Silver Britches

March 14, 2020 - Went and checked again today to see how much more water there was, and there's a lot more, as I expected. It's also about to cross the road in a few spots before this washout. I could hear the water roaring, before I even got out of the truck. This is the most water I've seen in this particular area, and an ole timer said it was the most he's seen in many years. They're not called river swamps for nothing.

Here's a short video I took today. Listen at that water.

s1.JPG

s4.JPG

s5.JPG

s6.JPG

oldguy

More development anywhere along the drainage basin = more flooding.
Paving new roads, adding lanes to highways, parking lots, roof tops = more run-off. Water gotta' go somewhere.
1" of water on an acre = > 26K gallons!

rip18

Wet, wet! Good pix.

Yep, oldguy nailed it. The more we put in impervious surfaces & channelize ditches/creeks, the flashier our systems get with more water coming quicker.