Great things about hunting.

Gentleman4561

I didnt write this but i think its awesome and couldnt help but share.

1. That hunting is more than a sport. It is a dagum mystical experience if you approach it ethically.
2. That hunters really are THE environmentalists.
3. That going into dark woods is something every person should do on a regular basis.
4. That hearing your boots silently glide through 6 inches of water while stalking is the most relaxing sound in the world.
5. That it is OK to feel cold. It makes you really appreciate warmth.
6. That you do not need expensive gear.
7. That you do not need an expensive rifle.
8. That when you are sitting alone in the woods for 3 hours straight, if you study what your thinking about it tells you more about yourself than any shrink could.
9. The smell of the woods adds years on to your life.
10. When you are standing over an animal that you have taken the life of....you should feel neither pity or shame if you intend on eating it.
11. When you tell people at the office that you went hunting this weekend, you should be prepared for a lot of disgusted looks and people treating you differently from that point forward.
12. That from this point on, when you start driving by woods and fields you can not help but look for deer and turkeys.
13. Every man should feel what "stalking prey" is like.........it changes you.
14. That even when the woods is absolutely silent, life is all around you.
15. That watching geese travel across the sky and confirming their direction with your compass shows you how precise nature can be....how it can run like clockwork....that it is a marvel.
16. That food you have hunted and killed yourself tastes completely different than anything you have bought in a store.
17. That you know you live in a free state when you can pull out a pocket full of change and loose 30-06 cartridges at the Dunkin Donuts cash register and the teenage girl behind the counter does not call the SWAT team but just smiles.
18. That you can be in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot at 5 am and witness, in multiple pick up trucks, 6 different rifles in various states of transport or storage and the police officers getting coffee there think nothing of it.
19. That watching your hunting buddy fall face first in 1 foot of water and look up at you with an "awwww crap" grin and you can not stop laughing for 20 minutes is something that you can never forget.
20. That there is no better feeling than giving the deer heart and the liver to a 90 year old woman because she let you hunt on her farm that has been in her family for over 160 years (and she remembers eating deer hearts and livers as a child ) and she acts like you have given her keys to a new car.
21. That hunters are some of the helpful people you can meet. Especially when you meet one in the woods that you have never met before and while you are dragging your deer out, tells you you can borrow his truck that is 200 yards away. He offers you his keys (because he aint't going to stop hunting), and tells you to just put the truck back where you found it and leave the keys in the ignition. That is trust.....or stupidity. I think he was more excited for me than I was.
22. That gutting a deer is not a bad experience. Everyone should be reminded that the meat on your dinner plate once had eyes looking at the world. It was not born precut in plastic wrap in the supermarket.
23. That you never thought you would be kneeling over a pile of deer crap in the middle of the woods and studying it like it was a foot long algebra equation (how large was the deer? How long ago was this made? Where would he have gone?etc.).
24. That when you bring the deer home in the back of your truck and your 7 year old sons eyes light up and says "thats cool" gives you the same chuckle as when your 5 year old daughter looks at it, krinkles her nose and says "thats gross."
25. Nature is cruel with a sense of humor. You only see turkeys during deer season and bucks during turkey season.
26. That you can tell lies to your hunting buddies and not feel guilty because you know they are lying to you also.......
27. That you never thought a hand on your shoulder by a friend saying "that is a heck of a nice doe" could mean so much.
28. A strong wind through a forest can make you imagine a lot of wierd things.
29. How amazed you are that the American male can complain at work on Monday about how tired he is from "all the yardwork he did" when you hiked all day in the wind and rain, barely ate, crap outside in the freezing cold, knew in the back of your mind that at any moment some Yahoo could take a shot at you, carried a rifle that felt like a tractor by Saturday night, did not see one deer and still felt lucky, happy and refreshed.
30. How sad you feel for those few moments each day out in the woods, that there are tens of millions of American males who will NEVER, EVER even get the chance to do what you are doing. They will be blissfully ignorant to their graves.
31. That holding a spent shell casing just after the perfect shot makes your whole body warm.
32. How you can flinch due to the noise at the range, but not hear the rifle go off when hunting (I did not even hear my rifle go off).
33. And that no matter what happens, no matter what people say, no matter what articles are written, no matter how many people discourage you.....you know, deep down you are a hunter and not a killer.....and that will make all the difference in how you live the rest of your life.

copecowboy84

Just an awesome post, think im gonna have to print this and give it to my fellow hunting buddies over here with me, i know they will appreciate it. Thanks for sharing brother.

Gentleman4561

Just an awesome post, think im gonna have to print this and give it to my fellow hunting buddies over here with me, i know they will appreciate it. Thanks for sharing brother.

No problem

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
This was a great read! In particuliar...

"How amazed you are that the American male can complain at work on Monday about how tired he is from "all the yardwork he did" when you hiked all day in the wind and rain, barely ate, crap outside in the freezing cold, knew in the back of your mind that at any moment some Yahoo could take a shot at you, carried a rifle that felt like a tractor by Saturday night, did not see one deer and still felt lucky, happy and refreshed."

That is about how I feel after not 1 day, but 4 days at Rum Creek, 3 days at Lake Russell... and still feeling blessed to have been there, happy and refreshed.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Great read. One more I could add... This weekend after spending three solid days in the woods at Sapelo, the last day all I wanted to do was go home, and was think to myself that I am burnt out of hunting. By the time I was in the van I was already itching to get back in the woods.

Palmetto

Great post! Thanks!

Need to add one about standing around the skinning pole with a adult beverage and good friends reflecting on the hunt.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
:cool: That pretty much sums it up!!:cheers:

Traumawolfe

"29. How amazed you are that the American male can complain at work on Monday about how tired he is from "all the yardwork he did" when you hiked all day in the wind and rain, barely ate, crap outside in the freezing cold, knew in the back of your mind that at any moment some Yahoo could take a shot at you, carried a rifle that felt like a tractor by Saturday night, did not see one deer and still felt lucky, happy and refreshed. "

Done this! Got off work at 7am, grabbed a biscuit, headed to woods, hunted til 530pm, back to work, showered, then clocked back in at 7pm.

grunt0331

Well said and dead on!!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great post - I have always said it is the only "sport" that will change a man (or woman) and how they perceive their world.