How to you know it’s time to quit on a morning hunt?

44magpastor

Like everyone else, I've killed deer at 10:30 am, 11:30 am......but that is the exception, by far. Most times, I kill them around 8 or 9 am.

If I'm not seeing any deer, I'll come out around 930, get come coffee and something to eat, then go back around 10:30, and stay till 12.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Inconsistent here, but I find it hard to get there before sunrise, nor stay late, past sunset.…..I go when I can. I shot a doe from the bottom of the leaner I was in on the last day, last year cause I got down too soon. My buddy is done by 9 or 10 AM usually. I’ll sit all day if I can and be comfy enough. I think the saddle has helped with that……a lot! The deer have to be doing something and I think they eat 3 times a day, but not positive.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
When this runs dry of coffee, it’s time to call it quits.
Mine’s a little bit bigger so I might be sitting 15 minutes longer than you. :bounce:
IMG_5191.jpeg

Mars

It gets hard for me to keep sitting when I haven't seen anything in an hour and I start thinking about all the things around the house that need to be done. That's usually between 3 and 4 hours of sitting in the stand.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It gets hard for me to keep sitting when I haven't seen anything in an hour and I start thinking about all the things around the house that need to be done. That's usually between 3 and 4 hours of sitting in the stand.

It's deer season. There is nothing around the house that needs doing that bad. January through March is when you do things around the house in between squirrel hunts. Then it's Turkey season and time to go fishing. :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yeah.....I agree with you but my Mrs and rugrats disagree.

Tell 'em to hush up. Daddy is trying to catch a deer. Be back direckly. :bounce:

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
When Billy gits hungry, it's time to hang it up. Especially if'n they ain't no deers come'n round...

Toliver

Mother nature knocking incessantly and demanding satisfaction will end a hunt... or at least interrupt it.
This evening it came to my attention that she will interrupt an evening hunt, too.

godogs57

About 9:30 or so does it for me, unless they are seriously chasing. I do it by feel more or less. If I’m seeing deer, I’ll set there. If not, off to breakfast. I generally see plenty of deer and then movement shuts down at whatever time it may be that morning. Once the shut down occurs, I’ll give it another hour. No more movement? I’m calling my sweetheart to meet me at Waffle House

bany

11:59 am cause the afternoon hunt starts in a couple seconds.
I do what I gotta do. If I can’t sit any longer or have to work or feel like nothing is going to move. That doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong I suppose
A recent bow hunt I didn’t go out the first two mornings. I was just sure the deer would not move. No one saw a deer. 11 am was the time to be in a tree and the afternoon was very active til about 4.
sit dark to dark as much as possible.

earlthegoat2

Usually around 11. I’ll go out and about around the property or find some breakfast and coffee somewhere nearby until 2 or 3.

I’m hunting 100 miles from my house so I have nothing else to do really but hunt.

Just like so much other internet wisdom, which I have found to be wrong or doesn’t apply to me, many say deer are all over in the middle of the day but oddly I have never seen any, not one, past 10:30 when I have decided to stay out longer so I never worry about calling it quits on a morning hunt after that time.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It's deer season. There is nothing around the house that needs doing that bad. January through March is when you do things around the house in between squirrel hunts. Then it's Turkey season and time to go fishing. :bounce:
This^^^ That’s why I get anxiety during the off season……gotta get it done then!

snookdoctor

Here's a few failsafe facts for deer hunting:

-If you haven't seen any deer, it's because they have seen you.

-When you get tired and/or bored in the stand and pack it in, the deer will start moving shortly after you leave.

-When hanging a stand, decide which way you want to face, and then turn it 180 degrees.

-Whichever way you hang a trail cam, the best deer will walk behind it.