How to you know it’s time to quit on a morning hunt?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I quit when I feel like it. I go sit when I feel like it.

Most of the time, the first three hours of daylight suits me fine.

I can decide to go, and be in a stand, or decide to go and be home in half an hour at the most, so no pressure to do or not do anything.

I ain't gonna make a chore out of huntin'....:)

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Always been told if the moon is over head the deer are moving.
I also look and listen to all the other wildlife.When the birds stop chirping its time to go to the house

Dallen92

I try to make it to 11 on a morning sit and if I'm comfortable or still seeing deer I will stay longer. My best bucks have been take between 10 and 1030.

Gbr5pb

My first hunting mentor sat to 11 like it was required! Was hunting on big lazor a couple years ago and killed a buck at daylight was amazed at the number of hunters back at the truck at 9am on the way to check station. Thought everyone sat till 11

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
When I was a teenager we had two old fellers with us in a club and we called them the cardiac kids because they'd both had multiple bypass surgeries. They slept as late as they wanted, got up, cooked breakfast, ate, messed around camp a bit, and then finally went to the stand about 11 when everyone else was coming out and hunted until 3 or 4 when everyone was going back in. They always seemed to kill plenty of deer. That always stuck with me that some deer are always moving.

Kev

I usually go with my gut instinct. Sometimes I’m down by 8:00. Sometimes I sit until noon. It’s good to hunt to and from stand.

Doc_Holliday23

I’ve always been a sunup to 1030 and 3 to dark guy. I see deer moving during the day but I’m usually hunting with other folks and we try to coordinate lunch. And then I always have a couple chores or people to see during the day. Or a football game to watch.

If it’s rainy I’ll let that determine things. Try to get in the stand an hour before it’s supposed to lighten up or stop.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
When I was a teenager we had two old fellers with us in a club and we called them the cardiac kids because they'd both had multiple bypass surgeries. They slept as late as they wanted, got up, cooked breakfast, ate, messed around camp a bit, and then finally went to the stand about 11 when everyone else was coming out and hunted until 3 or 4 when everyone was going back in. They always seemed to kill plenty of deer. That always stuck with me that some deer are always moving.

I believe that was Mr. Diel and Jerry.

Resica

How do you know when it’s time to call it a morning and quit a morning hunt? Evenings are easy; once it’s dark, it’s time to stop. However mornings are different since only minutes after we give up, something could come by that would have made an average season into one that you would never forget. We just don’t know.

Me, for example, the largest buck I ever shot came by at 12:15; however, even now I rarely stay in the stand until after noon, especially if I was there before daylight. I only stayed that long on that day due to some does feeding nearby that I didn’t want to spook. Had the does not been there, I would have been gone before the buck came by.

So how do you know when it’s time to quit on a morning hunt? Do you feel like your giving up when leaving the woods or do you justify it to yourself in someway that it’s time to stop and go home?
Hunt from dark to dark!