GSMNP

Taxman

I have been on several backcountry trips into the park lately. Finally starting to catch some larger Brown's in and around pools this last trip. Fishing was slow all 4 mornings but picked up after 5pm. Low clear water made even the stealthiest of techniques tough! I fished a dry & dropper one day and caught enough smaller fish and switched to a 10' 3wt for some long line French methods for the rest of the trip for the riffles and runs. The water was 63-65 degrees the few times I checked temps.

Interestingly, I just couldn't find the fish behind the normal boulders and in small pools. Mostly attributed to my poor techniques I am sure but I was surprised. My luckiest catch was a large brown on a San Juan worm. I set the rod down to reposition behind a boulder and some branches. When I grabbed the rod I thought the current and hung the nymph on a boulder. I snatched the nymph a little to break it loose and there was an 17" brown attached and hooked through a fin!!:)). More Rainbows this trip than usual with the largest about 15/16". I ended up with about 5 larger Browns including the lucky one. All the larger fish were on various nymphs were in the 17 to 20" range.

I do believe I will take a 7'6 rod as opposed to the 9' rod for dry's and dry dropper fishing on my next trip. The longer rod gives me better reach and line mgmnt but honestly I don't get to pick and choose much wet wading the whole way up a creek. The fish are well aware of my presence earlier than I would like. Where longer cast are available the 7'6" is just a pleasure to fish.

Thanks to all for the fine input and education I receive on the forum.

Taxman

Flashback hares ear or like a rainbow warrior. Remember, if your water is
3' deep to have a leader that is long enough to get to the bottom fish and the
proper weight to keep it down. Just my limited experience! Techniques vary
greatly for different environs.

Last edited: