Handfull

Darkhorse

It would be some bad recoil indeed to match a 3.5" shotgun shell. I sight mine in off the bench and I always lose my grip on one hand or the other. That's just one reason I hunt turkeys with a .40 caliber flintlock instead of my browning.

sleepr71

No sir..this is a no go for me. Good way to end up with a broken hand, broken wrist, and bloodied up face. Not worth it..:)

Reactions: Dub

Geezer Ray

I tried a 3.5 magnum load when I tried to get into turkey hunting. Shot that gun and those loads twice to pattern the shot. After the swelling and bruising went away, I never tried to pull the trigger again. Never got into turkey hunting either, I am just to dumb for it. Sold that shot gun with two rounds through it.

pacecars

I have an unported 14” .375 JDJ Contender and it will dang sure let you know when you have touched off a full power load. I like big guns and I cannot lie. My Freedom Arms .454 Casull is a beast with full house balls to the walls loads, but it still makes me giggle when I shoot it

rosewood

Haven't shot in a handgun, but with standard "trap door" loads, the 45-70 is quite pleasant to shoot in a single shot rifle.

Rosewood

Dub

I've only run a couple boxes of stout .45/70 loads through my Henry. Not much fun sighting in....but not bad when standing or sitting full upright where the recoil pad isin the sweet spot. Just pushes back on you is all.

I'll never forget the first patterning session with my SuperNova pump shooting 3.5" magnum turkey loads.

Somehow it fired-ejected-& reloaded the next shell like it was a semi-auto....in the blink of and eye.

Seems to cycle like that when I run those loads. :huh:

My shoulder ain't what it used to be....thoughts of those future sight-in sessions is enough to make me sore. :rofl:.

I'm not dumb, but I'm sometimes stupid. I enjoy some recoil....even when it's not practical to get the job at hand accomplished.

Dub

I saw a commercial the other day advertising one of those little Bond Arms derringers in 45-70. If somebody touched off one of those hot Buffalo Bore loads, I suspect it would blow up.

Some things are just stupid.

That is one I'll sidestep any offer of shooting.

I'll pass.

A .45/70 derringer.......that is nutz.

Geezer Ray

I've only run a couple boxes of stout .45/70 loads through my Henry. Not much fun sighting in....but not bad when standing or sitting full upright where the recoil pad isin the sweet spot. Just pushes back on you is all.

I'll never forget the first patterning session with my SuperNova pump shooting 3.5" magnum turkey loads.

Somehow it fired-ejected-& reloaded the next shell like it was a semi-auto....in the blink of and eye.

Seems to cycle like that when I run those loads. :huh:

My shoulder ain't what it used to be....thoughts of those future sight-in sessions is enough to make me sore. :rofl:.

I'm not dumb, but I'm sometimes stupid. I enjoy some recoil....even when it's not practical to get the job at hand accomplished.
Now you ain't some kind of weirdo Liberal are you. I mean enjoying recoil, come on sounds like whips and chains weird to me.

deerslayer357

I have a 7/08 Encore and it isn’t bad. My 454 Blackhawk is worse, and a few cylinders of those are all I want at the time. My 460 S&W is even worse, and 1 cylinder is typically enough.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Saw some fella shooting a 45-70 Derringer on you tube.

I would pass on the pocket elephant gun but would definitely shoot that stainless beauty up there.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I learned long ago that .44 Mag is as far as I will go in a handgun.

A .308 T/C Encore is what taught me the lesson...

.44 mag is my favorite revolver cartridge...hands down....period.

While I've had a 500 (let it go due to ammo & bullet cost) and have a .460 that's waiting in safe for me to get busy on it.....the .44 mag provides all the hunting performance I've ever wanted in a handgun.

Darkhorse

I agree with that. My question to myself is "Why do I want a 10mm when I've got a accurate, well broken in Ruger 44 mag. in the safe just rarin' to hunt?"

Dub

I agree with that. My question to myself is "Why do I want a 10mm when I've got a accurate, well broken in Ruger 44 mag. in the safe just rarin' to hunt?"
(y)(y)(y)(y)

And then there is the performance factor.

Many of us, myself included, often put the 10mm on some high & mighty pedestal.....SmackDown Cartridge of The Ages. :bounce:

The simple truth is that most factory ammo for the 10mm is loaded at 40S&W levels....or slightly hotter.

There are the companies like Underwood, who offer full flavored ammo in 10mm. There some other brands that have been reported to deliver inconsistent chrono results vs their advertised stats. I've never tested them...but remain skeptical.
Thankful to have dies & brass for 10mm. (y)

Semi-autos will ideally be sprung for the normal diet, whether that is low-mid level target loads or going full throttle on the hotter hunting loads. Even then a steady diet of hunting loads & stout springs seems to be beyond what some semi-autos are built for. :huh:
Revolvers can easily handle either, of course.

Even the hottest 10mm loads don't stack up against the .44mag.
Heck, the 44mag hasn't even flexed & stretched at the point where the 10mm is being all it can be.

I don't mean to bust on the 10mm.

I'm a fan and like seeing it established as a righteous handgun option.

Even in single stack semi-autos, you'll get a couple more rounds in a mag when compared to .45acp. It'll run circles around 9mm and it tends to feed well. Even with mid level loads it is a formidable self-defense cartridge and handles well.

For a primary hunting gun.....I'll happily grab a .44 mag revolver.
As a backup to a rifle...sure, I'll carry a 10mm and have done so. Killed a pile of snakes and a couple hogs with a G20.

It's great to have options.

We Americans have enjoyed availability and freedom to pursue our firearm fun. :flag:
Sure hope we will all continue to push our elected officials to
uphold this. Shall Not Be Infringed.