Hazmat fees?

bevills1

Why do hazmat fees vary so much? I've seen rates from different sellers between $12.50 to as high as $36 and seen promotions of no fee on certain items or quantities of an item. I wanted to order just 1 pound of powder which would make the cost unacceptable after the hazmat fee is added, and one seller has a 4 pound minimum on powder orders. Finally I lucked up to find Buds Gun Shop could ship small quantities of powder wth no hazmat fee, and I only had to pay the shipping cost of the powder plus the other items I ordered. Anybody wanting to order small amounts of powder may want to take advantage of this policy.

frankwright

Hazmat is supposed to be $19.50 per 50lb box of powder,primers or both as long as they are shipped from the same location.
I always wait for a no or low hazmat deal before I order.
For just a lb or two I go to a local pawn shop and just buy the powder. It is more expensive than online but not as much as hazMat and shipping.
I would drive a long way before I paid HazMat on one lb of powder!

280 Man

Banned
Midway, Mid-South and Brownells run no hazmat quite often when you buy 150 worth. This is a good deal if you already know what you want!

Buying only one off the "net" is not prudent. Cost too much!

I know a guy that comes to my local flea market every Wednesday! He has decent prices and he makes a trip to his supplier every couple weeks.

If he doesn't have something that I want I put in an order and get it the next time he is there!

Dub

The last two powder orders I made online with Buds were canceled on their end after a week or two.

Prices on the powder were good....I jumped on it....only get and email that it was being canceled and my $$$$$ would be refunded in a few days.

Good luck getting components from Buds.

rosewood

Why do hazmat fees vary so much? I've seen rates from different sellers between $12.50 to as high as $36 and seen promotions of no fee on certain items or quantities of an item. I wanted to order just 1 pound of powder which would make the cost unacceptable after the hazmat fee is added, and one seller has a 4 pound minimum on powder orders. Finally I lucked up to find Buds Gun Shop could ship small quantities of powder wth no hazmat fee, and I only had to pay the shipping cost of the powder plus the other items I ordered. Anybody wanting to order small amounts of powder may want to take advantage of this policy.
Because the seller is covering the hazmat fee out of their profits as an incentive. Kind of like free shipping, someone has to pay for it, it just comes out of what you pay them, off their bottom line. Some cases, they are adding to their profits by charging more than the carrier charges them.

Rosewood

bevills1

In this instance I couldn't find Accurate No 5 any where within a 50 mile radius of Henry county Georgia. Paying only shipping charge and no hazmat fee makes it a reasonable price Buds is offering when you take into account that I'm ordering a few other items too. Currently tracking info for order shows "status: shipping". I don't know if they could still cancel, and I guess only time will tell.

bullgator

Varget finally made it here. :cool:DD6C174D-A8E8-4288-9853-372A77B82044.jpeg

Ajohnson0587

I usually wait until one of the many reloading companies I buy from run a no hazmat special and buy a bunch at once. I also have a friend that has a dealer account with Chattanooga and 2x a year we place a big order for Primers and Powder.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I usually wait until one of the many reloading companies I buy from run a no hazmat special and buy a bunch at once. I also have a friend that has a dealer account with Chattanooga and 2x a year we place a big order for Primers and Powder.

I got one of those too...he orders a little more regular than that. Most of the time it comes with only shipping and sometimes not even that.

georgia_home

I wish the real BP sellers would do good deals on hazmat. If you only need a LB, it gets expensive.

A friend did drive by At a place a few months back and picked up a LB with . That worked out well. I’ll have to get a few if I drive up that way.

Ajohnson0587

I got one of those too...he orders a little more regular than that. Most of the time it comes with only shipping and sometimes not even that.

We order for everyone on our team (6 guys), we order 250k primers and powder as needed. But most of us are ordering 20-24Lbs of powder each on average. We shoot a lot lol.

I wish the real BP sellers would do good deals on hazmat. If you only need a LB, it gets expensive.

A friend did drive by At a place a few months back and picked up a LB with . That worked out well. I’ll have to get a few if I drive up that way.

Buying in bulk is the best way to cut down on hazmat fee's and overall cost. Reloading is great for those that like manufacturing their own ammo, but buying 1Lb of powder or 1k primers at a time is kind of like spinning your wheels. If you are someone that only loads for hunting or occasional shooting, it makes it difficult to finds ways to absorb that hazmat cost. Best advice I can give is to get on Midway USA's mailing list and look for their No Hazmat sales email. You have to spend a minimum of $150, but it will allow you to stock up for crazy times like what we have going on now. People are going crazy over ammo and reloading supplies and I'm in the garage pumping out 10k rnds a week and impatiently waiting for this pandemic to pass so I can get back to shooting on a weekly basis.

georgia_home

The real black powder doesn’t ship with discounts, at least not that I can find. and the big guys, like midway, don’t sell it. (Real BP, not the fake stuff)

Every place I’ve found, a few posted here, all kill with hazmat fees. Also haven’t found folks wanting to split an order.

If you find someone with free shipping on real BP, yell loud for me. I’ll jump on it.

We order for everyone on our team (6 guys), we order 250k primers and powder as needed. But most of us are ordering 20-24Lbs of powder each on average. We shoot a lot lol.

Buying in bulk is the best way to cut down on hazmat fee's and overall cost. Reloading is great for those that like manufacturing their own ammo, but buying 1Lb of powder or 1k primers at a time is kind of like spinning your wheels. If you are someone that only loads for hunting or occasional shooting, it makes it difficult to finds ways to absorb that hazmat cost. Best advice I can give is to get on Midway USA's mailing list and look for their No Hazmat sales email. You have to spend a minimum of $150, but it will allow you to stock up for crazy times like what we have going on now. People are going crazy over ammo and reloading supplies and I'm in the garage pumping out 10k rnds a week and impatiently waiting for this pandemic to pass so I can get back to shooting on a weekly basis.

bevills1

Buying in bulk is the best way to go if one needs a lot of powder. The Accurate No 5 I ordered will load 1k + rounds of 38 Special which is its intended use. Ordering numerous pounds for this use would make no sense at all. I intend to duplicate the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P 38 Special factory load. For this use 1k + rounds will last me a life time.

Big7

The Oracle
Hazmat is supposed to be $19.50 per 50lb box of powder,primers or both as long as they are shipped from the same location.
I always wait for a no or low hazmat deal before I order.
For just a lb or two I go to a local pawn shop and just buy the powder. It is more expensive than online but not as much as hazMat and shipping.
I would drive a long way before I paid HazMat on one lb of powder!
Me too...

Except for a "few?" sealed tins of 7.62X54R from Sportsman's Paradise- I can't think of anything powder related purchased by me "on line".

I like to get my powder and primers on sight.
That way, I can verify the condition of the plastic containers, etc..

When I started handloading the containers were wound up paper and foil. Looked real similar to a store bought biscuit can.??

bevills1

Just got notice from Buds that order for Accurate No 5 was cancelled because it's out of stock just like happened to Dub in reply #5. Buds also told me shipping is now taking up to 15 days to ship instead of their 3-5 days normal shipping time. I think that's pretty crappy to show the powder in stock when I ordered and then cancel informing me it's out of stock. I doubt I'll be ordering from \buds again.

leoparddog

Just got notice from Buds that order for Accurate No 5 was cancelled because it's out of stock just like happened to Dub in reply #5. .

Have you seen the posts here about guys who actually visited Buds GS? Its a small store front, not a big stocking dealer. Everything they do is "pass through" including guns. You order from them, they order from their supplier and ship to you or your FFL. They don't stock hardly anything. Maintaining inventory/stock is expensive and they can do the low prices since they don't keep anything in actual inventory before you order it.
I'm sure when you made your order, they held for a few days and turned your order around to their upstream suppliers who had none in stock. I might buy a gun from them but that would be about it