Heading down again

Joehales90

Hey yall. My brother and our two buddies are coming down again in January to camp and hunt for a few days. We went to tuckahoe in Jan and April of this year and between 3 of us got 1 hog each trip (2 hogs total). We hunted really hard rain or shine. Only had one encounter each time... granted that wma is huge, but I feel like we hunted it and it just didn't have a huge number of pigs. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good wma with camping and real good numbers of pigs? Or does anyone want some killed off their lease? We're open to driving anywhere in the state. We really are just looking to fill some coolers and make some memories. Pic is of last years

Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• 20220113_114619.jpg
    20220113_114619.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 21

Gator89

Go to ocmulgee or oaky woods. Both have good populations and campgrounds. You’ll still have to hunt hard. Nowhere that I know of on public land where they are real easy to come by every time out.

Even on a lot of private land the hogs get pressured enough in the off season they rarely emerge from the thickest hideouts in the daylight.

sportsman94

Even on a lot of private land the hogs get pressured enough in the off season they rarely emerge from the thickest hideouts in the daylight.
Yessir you are absolutely right from my limited experience. You can just increase your odds on private by feeding. Especially if he’s coming in January again when food is somewhat limited. But the OP being out of state (I believe) would have a hard time finding someone who wanted pigs gone bad enough to feed them in preparation for him to come I’m guessing

Joehales90

Awesome fellas I appreciate it. Looking forward to it. It's nice to get outta the deer hunting routine and strictly meat hunt. We had a really good time last January. Hoping to do it again. How does oaky woods or Okmulgee compare with tuckahoe? Anyone have any experience with the lay of the land?

sportsman94

Oaky woods and ocmulgee are very similar. Just separated by a river. Hardwood bottoms, pines, cutover, river bottom. There’s some slightly rolling terrain, but it’s pretty slight. I’ve never been to tuckahoe, but went to school in statesboro so imagine it was flat, mostly pines, with some swamp and hardwood bottoms.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good luck ! These wild hogs are tough after they’ve been hunted all of deer season . I haven’t hunted it in several years but if you choose Ocmulgee or Oaky woods as someone else mentioned you’ll enjoy it . The hogs are there, if at all possible give it a try during the first of archery season or small game if you’d rather use a firearm .

Joehales90

Time off work is hard to come by- MLK day is a Monday off every year and I work 4-10's so it's the perfect set up for a long weekend. Plus I'm not a huge fan of hunting when it's 80°+... meat care becomes too hard. And when we went down in April last year the skeeters just about carried us off...

Tugboat1

I'd recommend the jungle bottom along Big Sandy Creek on Beaverdam WMA.

flatwoods

I wish I could help. I'd be hard pressed to name a better place than Tuckahoe though.
That river bottom is eat up with pigs.

Good luck to you wherever you end up. The adventure is the best part anyway.

Couldn't agree more. I know we'll have a good time. Yall got it made down there with your wmas. Much nicer set ups than here in md
Where are you at in Maryland? I'm from Prince Georges county. Moved to Savannah this summer for work. Shoot me a PM, I might be able to help with the piggies.