Heat exhaustion warning

Lilly001

Just a reminder to be careful out there in GA’s summer heat.
Hydration is most important. Try to schedule physical labor for the early, cooler, part of the day. If you are not peeing regularly you are not hydrating enough.
As I get older I find that the heat gets to me much sooner.
It’s better to pace yourself than to hurt yourself.

B. White

Ran into it last year for the first time. Spent 6-8 hours on an open cab tractor in August. Had water with me, but it didn't seem like it was doing much. Got almost done and wasn't feeling the best, but was close, so I finished up. Went from ok, but weak, to seeing stars by the time I got in some AC. How fast it snuck up was what surprised me. Spent 15-20 mins sitting in AC before going to the house and things were still starting to go black when I stood up. Took a cold shower and ate a bunch of watermelon out of the fridge and felt pretty good 3-4 hours later. Weather stations in the area all showed 102-104 that afternoon. It was the wrong day to go that long with no break or shade.

TJay

Yep once it starts coming on water doesn't do a whole lot. I've experienced it a couple of times in the last ten years and both times were in the deer woods in late August or early September. The last time I was alone and that was kind of scary. Fortunately I felt it coming on and was able to sit down and kind of head it off. Still felt terrible but was able to make it to the 4 wheeler and get back to the camper and AC.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Older fella I was hanging blinds with yesterday got a touch of it. We were both sweating pretty good and suddenly he stopped sweating and had to sit down. We got him rehydrated and in the A/C and he was fine. I made him sip water slowly until he finally had to urinate. I figured if his bladder was full, he was past dehydration.
I ended up drinking almost a gallon of water yesterday morning/early afternoon myself.

sleepr71

When you start feeling dizzy,or especially STOP sweating…you are in Danger! At that point you need to focus 100% on Cooling your body down. Get in the shade(preferably A/C),let somebody know(if you are alone), Pour cool water over your head,take OFF hot,sweaty clothes,and lay down. Drink water,if you have more. B. White..you sound like you came close to having a “heat stroke”..;)

Buckstop

Have had a three or four incidents over the years during the summer. Working on boats as a younger man and once at an August work weekend at camp. Hydrate against it and know the signs. I usually have a cooler in the truck with ice, water and gatorade anytime I'm out working in the summer.

Stroker

I've had three major incidents with the heat. 1st one in 98 left me with eight hours of amnesia and three days in hospital. 2nd one my face took out a bed foot board, a ambulance ride to ER and overnight stay. 3rd time I was rewarded with eight staples in the old egg, another ambulance ride and overnight. If my wife wasn't there when I fell they said I would have bleed out. Every doctor has recommended a 50/50 water and sports drink and to push it, don't just drink enough to cure your thirst. Plenty of fluids and extra breaks will keep you going strong.

Shadow11

A lot of water is key, especially if u sweat a lot. I like to wet a white t-shirt and keep over my head or around my neck. Re-wet it every now and then. Feels great

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I got too hot floating the Ocmulgee. I’d been on the river in bright sunshine over 8 hours, thought I had drank plenty of water. When I went to pull my kayak out I was weak and light headed. Got in the truck lay the seat back and turned on the AC. Took 20-30 minutes to cool down and feel up to dragging my yak up the river bank.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I work outside framing houses at 56 years old. We drink a LOT of water in the summer time. I’ve learned a few tricks over the years. A light colored,vented hat or I’ve got a couple “cool hats” you can get wet. We wear high viz cool shirts and I’ve got some cool rags I dip in the cooler water several times a day. It helps to get started in the morning as you slowly get acclimated to the heat during the course of the day

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Pickle Juice, drink water and sip pickle juice occasionally.
Pickle juice better than Gator-aide.
That's no lie, had a few times where it snuck up on me, cramps, hot skin, no sweating, water wasn't cutting it. Had some pickle juice in the cooler, couple shots of it, felt fine, but continued to drink water. You have to replace the salt and minerals you sweat out.

Ideally you should hydrate the day before any exertion in the heat anywhere.

Also, vented full brimmed hat, thin long sleeved shirt and thin pants work for me to keep the sun at bay

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Got it in the military once, was no fun. Headache for days. I have been told that I now drink too much water which is actually a real thing, or so that I am told. Also got the opposite when I left deer camp planting food plots back in the 90's. Sweaty T shirt and A/C for the ride home bout got me a few days later.

Had heat exhaustion in Dec hiking a volcano in St Lucia with my wife on our 25th. Well hydrated and didn't drink too much the day before. Puking every ounce of water in your body out at several thousand feet up in a rainforest is not for the weak. I honestly thought that I was going to be airlifted out that day.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Got it in the military once, was no fun. Headache for days. I have been told that I now drink too much water which is actually a real thing, or so that I am told. Also got the opposite when I left deer camp planting food plots back in the 90's. Sweaty T shirt and A/C for the ride home bout got me a few days later.

Had heat exhaustion in Dec hiking a volcano in St Lucia with my wife on our 25th. Well hydrated and didn't drink too much the day before. Puking every ounce of water in your body out at several thousand feet up in a rainforest is not for the weak. I honestly thought that I was going to be airlifted out that day.
There were a few that died in the military from it so it is real.

The whole "DRINK WATER" started falling off after those deaths.

Shrimpngrits

I work solely outdoors and would love to second the call for electrolyte powder. Water itself isn’t always enough, we’ve got to replenish the electrolytes, salts and mineral we lose through our pores. -yet Gatorade seems to be adult koolaid. There are some good sugar free options, I prefer the hydration tablets made by Nuun, they’re the size of 3 quarters stacked. I break ‘em in half and drop them in a 16oz bottle of water.

Our head man at work loves to tell us; “Gentlemen, hydration is a 24hr proposition, waiting until your thirsty is already too late.”

Also, our divine creator gave us a built in hydration gauge; your urine color tells you when you’re in trouble; dark yellow, get to drinking fellow. If it’s closer to brown, you’re going down.

Stay safe out there!!

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

I know it’s time to stop when I get the chills.

I usually have two 32 oz Pedialyte on hand as well as more than enough water.

I sweat out faster than I can intake fluids though so the second I step out into 90+ degrees, the clock is ticking and I am a dead man walking unless I get into shade or AC before my body betrays me.