Heavy cross bolt bolt setup

Arrow Flinger

When I could shoot a compound, I loved messing around with setup and was always changing things up. Now that I can’t due to physical limitations, there was not much I could do with a crossbow. My son got interested in heavy arrow setups this summer and read and listened to everything I could on it. It got me thinking how it would work on a crossbow. I was shooting a standard bolt with a 125 rage and had good luck with the setup. I ordered some 100 grain inserts and 150 grain Magnus Stingers and started testing. Total weight was almost 600 grains. I used a new 3d target insert to test broadheads. The results were interesting. The insert was 10 inches thick. The rage got almost 8 inches of penetration but the heavy setup got a pass through and 2 inches. I was impressed enough that I can’t wait to see it on a deer. Have anyone else tried it?

deast1988

I took a black Eagle zombie slayer, 110gr insert 150gr schwacker. 400fps PSE. I didn’t care how much I robbed the speed. I knew it was north 300fps, and quiet considering how loud xbows were. Only deer with it was a passthrough, the bolt skipped off into parts unknown. It would bury so deep into my target I only saw the nock. That 3in broadhead deer went 20yds like a bucket was pouring out.

Jim Boyd

My regular arrows from
Xbow with 100 gr Rage give great pass through so why go heavy (at least for me).

I do recall that back in the early 80’s I shot a doe at 5-6 yards with about a 250 grain fixed blade broadhead and it was very persuasive.

Arrow Flinger

My regular arrows from
Xbow with 100 gr Rage give great pass through so why go heavy (at least for me).

I do recall that back in the early 80’s I shot a doe at 5-6 yards with about a 250 grain fixed blade broadhead and it was very persuasive.
I got good pass through too on all but one. It was quartering away purdy hard and the broadhead stopped in the off side shoulder. It died within a hundred yards but there was a very sparse blood trail

Jim Boyd

I got good pass through too on all but one. It was quartering away purdy hard and the broadhead stopped in the off side shoulder. It died within a hundred yards but there was a very sparse blood trail

Good luck!!

Love an experiment.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
When I could shoot a compound, I loved messing around with setup and was always changing things up. Now that I can’t due to physical limitations, there was not much I could do with a crossbow. My son got interested in heavy arrow setups this summer and read and listened to everything I could on it. It got me thinking how it would work on a crossbow. I was shooting a standard bolt with a 125 rage and had good luck with the setup. I ordered some 100 grain inserts and 150 grain Magnus Stingers and started testing. Total weight was almost 600 grains. I used a new 3d target insert to test broadheads. The results were interesting. The insert was 10 inches thick. The rage got almost 8 inches of penetration but the heavy setup got a pass through and 2 inches. I was impressed enough that I can’t wait to see it on a deer. Have anyone else tried it?
If accuracy is maintained I love the idea. Some of us didn’t have similar luck with a heavier FOC……at least I didn’t. I’ve had great luck with the bow and heavier FOC, but not with the Xbow.

Arrow Flinger

I put it to the test today. 180lb 7 pointer. Put it in the pocket on a quartering away shot. Shot through the off side shoulder. All but 3 inches of the bolt passed through and broke off. Ran 50 yards and piled up pouring blood the whole way. I’m convinced

Attachments

• 45DD54D7-35EB-4807-8EA3-99B2F0044BF3.jpeg
    45DD54D7-35EB-4807-8EA3-99B2F0044BF3.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 30

SuperCreech

I can’t find my 400gr arrows from my ravin r26 after blowing through every deer I have shot from the ground , I see no reason to loose trajectory for more penetration in a tree .

Jim54

I've always been a heavy arrow guy. Since i had to go with the crossbow i switched from the 400 gr arrow that came with the bow to custom FMJ I made at 510 gr. Penetration is not really a factor (though it doesn't hurt) but much quieter and less wear on the bow / strings is. 510 gr out of my Tenpoint Havoc is still @ 400 fps.

Ihunt

You changed two things that helped with penetration. The weight and the head.