Can we have another broadheads thread??

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Lemme start by saying I’m not shooting a super fast bow. I’m pulling about 50# and 26”, my arrows are +/- 484 gr…….no idea of speed. I’ve been using the rage knock-off, but can’t say I’m too pleased. They fly great, but are more like a 1 and done head. I’ve gotten good at installing the collars and they don’t rattle, or I fix them. But let anything touchem while they are in the quiver and they open!. I’ve not had many opportunities so my experience is lacking. I bought some knock-off fixed that fly true, but it has a whistle on it somewhere I can’t remove! These things are loud…..no way would I sling one at a deer!
Having a lot of time on my hands I’ve been watching a lot of videos on all things hunting. I came across the hunting public video podcast on broadheads. I am a shopaholic somewhat and in need of a new supply of heads, so I’ve been looking. I almost got the muzzy pack at Walmart that you have to put together. Not sure why a fixed head with hardware(threaded collars etc) just doesn’t appeal to me. I have come to the conclusion I’ll have to cry in order to get a fixed broadhead id hunt with.
Currently my mind has me leaning towards a solid 3 blade that can be easily sharpened….key word easily like laying it on a stone and filing. After a ton of research, I do like that magnus stinger(2 blade) with the 2 additional bleeder blades. They are guaranteed for life too…..not sure what that covers. The blade is sharpenable and replaceable.
Anyone switching? I’d love some updated thoughts!

James12

I currently shoot megameats as I’m not overly concerned about reusing a broadhead I’ve killed a deer with, and it’s a very destructive 2” broadhead. Most destructive I’ve used by far.

However my fixed blade choice is the QAD Exodus but I know guys switching to the Tooth of the Arrow head which are easy to sharpen.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

With the set up you are shooting…it’s questionable if you have the proper kinetic energy to shoot a mechanical head. Could go either way. I have several buddies that shoot the Magnus on hogs and love them. They shoot them for greater penetration and are happy with the results. You can send them in to the factory and they will resharpen them for you. The downside is you would have to keep several on hand to keep your quiver full. They do fly well. Muzzy is a great option if you don’t mind fiddling with them a little for the best tune. Those 2 inch BH cuts really sound good, but penetration often suffers with lower poundage and shorter draws. Don’t overlook slick tricks, their pretty awesome and very easy to tune. And they will eat one up.

sportsman94

Vpa 3 blade solids are what I use. I made the switch from mechanicals and have been extremely pleased. I shot one head through 5 animals before it came unscrewed and I lost it. Am up to 3-4 on the new head that I replaced it with. Just touch up on a flat stone and go back out

Deerhead

I have been shooting NAP Spitfire BH’s for years. They make some noise when flying through the air. But they work well and have killed a couple of deer with them. Just switched from a compound to a crossbow. I also went with the rage crossbow hypodermic broadheads, wanted a 2” cut. Have plenty of ke with this setup. Hope to test them this fall.

1Gabowhunter

It all depends on what your budget is and how much you like to tinker and fiddle with your gear. If you don’t mind breaking the wallet, Iron Will single bevel or standard would do amazing in your setup. If you like mechanicals, the SEVR 1.5 is almost undefeated in durability, penetration, etc. if you’re looking for a middle ground, muzzy trocar fixed and QAD exodus is probably going to serve you well.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve been doing simple google searches for any broadhead, different spellings too! Y’all have already named a few that I’ve never heard of! I’ve only seen the QAD like 2 times, xodus I think it was, but the pics were terrible. I pulled the trigger on he Magnus killer bee stinger. It’s the solid 2 blade with the bleeders. I’ll probably order another pack so I’ll have 6 ttl, but I’ll shoot them first…….thats gonna be a minute for sure!

With the set up you are shooting…it’s questionable if you have the proper kinetic energy to shoot a mechanical head. Could go either way. I have several buddies that shoot the Magnus on hogs and love them. They shoot them for greater penetration and are happy with the results. You can send them in to the factory and they will resharpen them for you. The downside is you would have to keep several on hand to keep your quiver full. They do fly well. Muzzy is a great option if you don’t mind fiddling with them a little for the best tune. Those 2 inch BH cuts really sound good, but penetration often suffers with lower poundage and shorter draws. Don’t overlook slick tricks, their pretty awesome and very easy to tune. And they will eat one up.
I’m thinking(hoping) I’ll get better penetration with this new Magnus head too!
Even though I ended up with a monster blood trail with a mechanical knock-off, I got very little penetration on a deer shot quartering away at like 15 yards.

Vpa 3 blade solids are what I use. I made the switch from mechanicals and have been extremely pleased. I shot one head through 5 animals before it came unscrewed and I lost it. Am up to 3-4 on the new head that I replaced it with. Just touch up on a flat stone and go back out
When you do that and don’t lose them, they don’t appear to be quite so expensive. I’m not paying for travel baseball anymore and it’s amazing how I don’t feel quite as broke as I did a few years ago.

I do like the design of the schwacker Levi Morgan’s, or he smaller 100 grain. The blades’ tips are actually inside and past the ribs before they open…..love this design! I bought the knock-off schwacker years ago, but the wing blades have a cut or bevel like a one sided edge that wanted to make it spin counterclockwise. My fletchings spin my shafts clockwise so it was a disaster to say the least!

jbogg

I shoot the SEVR Robusto‘s through my crossbow, and they are bulletproof and fly true.

I started hunting with a recurve this past fall and shot completely through three deer, using the same 125 grn Magnus stinger 2 blade with bleeder blades. And that’s shooting a bow that only pulls 40 pounds at 28 inches. They fly with my field points, and you can re-sharpen them easily.

sportsman94

The Magnus are good heads. Are you planning to resharpen them? If so, have you done it before? I can and have resharpened my two blades before, but for ease of sharpening I can get three blades way sharper way easier.

earlthegoat2

Cut on contact and heavy is my personal preference.

Nothing under 125gr but preferably 150-175. I like Grizzlies and Silver Flames.

Pruitt1

I'm shooting magnus black hornet great head thick blades easy to sharpen plus tune easy. I can shoot them out to 80yds and group well with field tips. Plus a great warranty. The VPA 3blade is a great head as well.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
What you describe is basically a recurve (traditional) set up.
The old stand by Bear Razorhead should serve you well.
With the bleeder vane removed it's just like sharpening your pocket knife.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Cut on contact and heavy is my personal preference.

Nothing under 125gr but preferably 150-175. I like Grizzlies and Silver Flames.
I got the 100 grain heads, but I do have 100 gr inserts so they are a little heavier than a stock arrow.
The Magnus are good heads. Are you planning to resharpen them? If so, have you done it before? I can and have resharpened my two blades before, but for ease of sharpening I can get three blades way sharper way easier.
I’ll try to resharpen but they just came and are sharp as a razor! If I send this thing where it’s supposed to go, it should go right on through!

Hillbilly stalker

I got the 100 grain heads, but I do have 100 gr inserts so they are a little heavier than a stock arrow.

I’ll try to resharpen but they just came and are sharp as a razor! If I send this thing where it’s supposed to go, it should go right on through!
I dont know what you have for a target.... but be prepared for it to go right thru a normal target. You mite wanna knock the edge off it first. No kidding.

deast1988

If your going for economical and penetration I’d go with

VPA penetrator 2 blade I can get them razor sharp on a rada wheel.

VpA has had dudes take 20 animals with a single head.

If you wanted rebuildable a QAD exodus, would be the way. You could get 6, some replaceable blades, shoot 1/2 for practice rebuild as you close in on season.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I always shot Muzzy's when I used compound just for the practice blade aspect. Muzzy heads have never failed me Then went to recurve and it was Magnus and Zwickeys so there is your resharpen as needed factor. Not much to fail on a two bladed head.

Never have used a mechanical so no help there.