Woodpeckers

Robust Redhorse

Instead of continuing to hijack the robin discussion in General Hunting, I thought I would just start a new thread here...

I have a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers that seem to have taken up residence at my house in White County. They (and the Piliated Woodpeckers), won't come to the suet feeder, but everything else will.

Of the 8 species of woodpeckers that reside in Georgia, I've seen 7. (The only one that I'm unsure of is the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker).

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Red headed, yellow shafted flickers, and Pileateds are spooky and harum scarum, more so than most of the rest.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of continuing to hijack the robin discussion in General Hunting, I thought I would just start a new thread here...

I have a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers that seem to have taken up residence at my house in White County. They (and the Piliated Woodpeckers), won't come to the suet feeder, but everything else will.

Of the 8 species of woodpeckers that reside in Georgia, I've seen 7. (The only one that I'm unsure of is the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker).
Around my house, I have resident redbellies, pileated, downy, an occasional hairy, yellow-bellied sapsuckers, yallerhammers (flickers.) I have only seen one redhead in my life.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Robust Redhorse

Red-headed Woodpeckers are very scarce around here too.

I have now seen 2 in my life.

I've been wanting to take a picture of them, but my best camera now is my iPhone 12 and I can't get decent resolution.

I have a 17 year old Nikon DSLR, but, my phone make better pictures.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think about Ivory-billed Woodpeckers still being with us....
There is some pretty interesting stuff coming from Cuba and Arkansas the last few years, but it's really hard to say. I think when the big woods died, they died with it. Might be a few stragglers left, but it doesn't look good for them.

Redbow

We have a good variety of Woodpeckers around here but I haven't seen a
Red-Headed Woodpecker in quite some time now. I have only seen the Pileated Woodpeckers at our feeders like two or three times in the past. Saw a Flicker feeding in the yard a few days ago hope it stays around for a while.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Look for white when you are down south. They are not uncommon near Augusta. Probably more prevalant here in the winter.
Yeah, I've kept an eye out there in my area of SC, never saw one. Just the same redbellies, pileated, downys, flickers, and such that I have at home.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I used to have several red headed woodpeckers that would come to my suet feeders here at home in Roswell.
But the neighbors took down a bunch of pines in their yard (their perogative), including a couple of the birds' big dead den trees and I haven't been seeing them much lately.
I think they are around, especially in wild areas of the piedmont , but their habitat is being shrunk.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That may explain why I see them. I have a stand of very mature mixed pine and hardwood between the house and the road. There are always large standing dead pines in it.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Good many Pileated and Redheaded Woodpeckers here. Several others I can’t identify.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I reckon we have all of them down here, but more red bellied and Pileateds than all the rest combined. Down in Seminole County we`re wrapped up in red headed and Pileateds. Yellow bellied sapsuckers and yellow hammers are only here in the winter. Pileated woodpeckers are an everyday sighting and-or vocal around here.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Good many Pileated and Redheaded Woodpeckers here. Several others I can’t identify.
I have plenty of woodpeckers, flickers and sapsuckers. I have a large variety of birds at my home and I probably should say their home as they tolerate me. Living next to the ONF there’s plenty of room for a large variety and population of birds and wildlife in my backyard.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Build yourself a cedar sided house. I got a big pileated that shows up shortly after the carpenter bees show up. Red headed (cap and apron) are fairly common. I see them sitting on top of power poles.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Build yourself a cedar sided house. I got a big pileated that shows up shortly after the carpenter bees show up. Red headed (cap and apron) are fairly common. I see them sitting on top of power poles.
I had a pileated about destroy a couple rafters on my shed a few years ago going after carpenter bees.

Latest posts