Help Me Spend Some Cabela's Card Points...(Rod and Reel)

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Ultra Lite rod:
I was gifted a Mitchell Zero Gravity Ultra Lite rod and reel years ago. Snapped the pole awhile back, now discontinued. I'd like to get a replacement pole that would match the ultralight reel.
7', 2 piece, Carbon fiber, additional specs in pics.
20220517_102353.jpg
20220517_102359.jpg
Ultra Lite reel used on Zero Gravity Rod:
20220517_102614.jpg
Also...
Light/Medium Reel:
2000-2500 series spinning reel, (and maybe 2-piece pole upgrade too).
I have fished a budget Mitchell Avocet S2000 for years, and it has been flawless, but pretty cosmetically beat up. Cheap Shakespeare Excursion Graphite 7' 2 piece pole. Nothing special.
I really like Shimano hardware on our mountain bike applications, and while Pfleuger seems a crowd favorite, Shimano gets the nod for now.

In consideration:
Shimano Spirex FG 2500
P-SPIREX_FRONT_DRAG.jpg

Or:
Shimano Sedona Fi SE2500HGFI
P-SEDONA_FI.jpg

Or:
Shimano Sahara Fi SHC3000HGF
P-SAHARA.jpg

I've read specs until my eyes are glazed over. Help me boil it down to basics. I'm continually drawn to the Spirex FG, but not just for the price point in this exercise.

And a 2-piece 7' rod to go with the above Shimano Reel.
Mostly panfish, some bass, ponds, small lake, from kayak, bank, basics.

This should be fun, like discussing your favorite Politician! :popknot: Thanks in advance, and let the games begin!

Last edited:

KKrueger

I don't know which you should choose but if you do it today there is an extra 10% off for the club members.

I bought a Pflueger a couple weeks ago that was normally $149 marked down to $99. Then used the 10% tuesdays code and free shipping on items over $50 plus my points and it was pretty much a free reel to me.

I do have that Sahara and the 1000 size too. I really like them both.

OwlRNothing

1. I'd go with the Sedona. It's usually a little more than the Spirex, but some of those are of questionable quality.
2. I'd take whatever you are trying to "match up" into the store and match it up. So many times I've ordered a rod or reel online and it wasn't right for what I wanted. Too limber, too stiff, too slow action, etc. If you can, it's best to match rods and reels in person, especially when you're dealing with components you're not already really familiar with. I'd rather use my points on something that I know will work out and get the matching rods somewhere where I can go in and attach the reel to the rod I'm thinking about getting, etc.
3. Good luck on whatever you end up getting! May you land all the big ones with it!

Darkhorse

I'd go for the Sedona also. I've had one in ultralight 500 series for over 10 years and it has been flawless.

pbradley

Ultra Lite rod:
I was gifted a Mitchell Zero Gravity Ultra Lite rod and reel years ago. Snapped the pole awhile back, now discontinued. I'd like to get a replacement pole that would match the ultralight reel.
7', 2 piece, Carbon fiber, additional specs in pics.
View attachment 1151991
View attachment 1151992
Ultra Lite reel used on Zero Gravity Rod:
View attachment 1151993
Also...
Light/Medium Reel:
2000-2500 series spinning reel, (and maybe 2-piece pole upgrade too).
I have fished a budget Mitchell Avocet S2000 for years, and it has been flawless, but pretty cosmetically beat up. Cheap Shakespeare Excursion Graphite 7' 2 piece pole. Nothing special.
I really like Shimano hardware on our mountain bike applications, and while Pfleuger seems a crowd favorite, Shimano gets the nod for now.

In consideration:
Shimano Spirex FG 2500
P-SPIREX_FRONT_DRAG.jpg

Or:
Shimano Sedona Fi SE2500HGFI
P-SEDONA_FI.jpg

Or:
Shimano Sahara Fi SHC3000HGF
P-SAHARA.jpg

I've read specs until my eyes are glazed over. Help me boil it down to basics. I'm continually drawn to the Spirex FG, but not just for the price point in this exercise.

And a 2-piece 7' rod to go with the above Shimano Reel.
Mostly panfish, some bass, ponds, small lake, from kayak, bank, basics.

This should be fun, like discussing your favorite Politician! :popknot: Thanks in advance, and let the games begin!

I had one of those zero gravity rods! Broke my heart when a fish finally snapped the tip. Best crappie rod I ever owned, and an absolute blast with a two pound spot.