Clover, spring 2024

Bucaramus

Went and checked the plots. It's been almost 2 weeks since spraying. As Canuck has said, "the grass just don't know it yet" but it's dead. The thistle is still green but limp and very easy to kick up out of the ground. Most of the clover is 6" to 8" tall with basketball size spots here and there ate to the ground. Best plots we've ever had.20240425_083616.jpg20240425_083234.jpg20240425_083159.jpg20240425_083621.jpg

Jim Boyd

Went and checked the plots. It's been almost 2 weeks since spraying. As Canuck has said, "the grass just don't know it yet" but it's dead. The thistle is still green but limp and very easy to kick up out of the ground. Most of the clover is 6" to 8" tall with basketball size spots here and there ate to the ground. Best plots we've ever had.View attachment 1302050View attachment 1302051View attachment 1302052View attachment 1302055

Magazine quality, right there baby!

I mean you are feeding them up and at the right time, too.

Wonderful.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Man! Erryboty got some good lookin clover going on. :rockon: As long as we get some rain this Summer the deer will be hammering it this Fall.

B. White

I've been doing the cheap/lazy method with crimson clover in an old field that was grown up in briars and sassafras. Last October when I threw out a little seed it was dry as a bone and it didn't rain for 3-4 weeks. Mow and sow, no tilling, no lime, no fertilizer. Gives them something to eat on 6-7 months out of the year for my $40-50 investment. Waiting on the seed heads to dry up before I mow again.

1714257270118.jpeg

1714257294969.jpeg

1714257328394.jpeg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Bucaramus

I got a good kill on grass and most of the broadleaf. I have decided that Dock and Thistle are straight from the devil!! I'm about to wage war on the thistle before it goes to seed. By hand! Machete or sling blade one.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I got a good kill on grass and most of the broadleaf. I have decided that Dock and Thistle are straight from the devil!! I'm about to wage war on the thistle before it goes to seed. By hand! Machete or sling blade one.

Thistle is a tough customer. The birds got it started in one of my clover plots about 5 years ago. I've got it beat back but it won't die for squat.

If you catch it before it bolts you got a shot at controlling it. If not, the war drags on. I can't find it now but I let it get out of control and I had pics of it standing chest high and completely covering a terrace. I got tore up pretty good wading through it with the hand wand on my spray tank spraying Roundup.

I finally got it down to this this year.

24thistleburn.jpg

Jim Boyd

I sprayed one acre this am.

20 gallons of water
16 oz cleth
16 oz crop oil
10 oz red dye.

At 40 psi and 5 mph, I ran out at the 85% mark.

That was my “test”.

Changed to

60 gallons water
32 cleth
32 oil
20 dye

This appears to be the right set up for that sprayer.

Sprayed two acres and had a little left over

I have never sprayed cleth before so I am not 100% sure what to expect.

Will know this coming weekend.

Also prepped a 2 acre field with the disc. Will burn with gly this coming weekend and then plant beans, peas, sunflowers and a little bit of corn the weekend following.

Best of luck to all.

WishboneW

I sprayed one acre this am.

20 gallons of water
16 oz cleth
16 oz crop oil
10 oz red dye.

At 40 psi and 5 mph, I ran out at the 85% mark.

That was my “test”.

Changed to

60 gallons water
32 cleth
32 oil
20 dye

This appears to be the right set up for that sprayer.

Sprayed two acres and had a little left over

I have never sprayed cleth before so I am not 100% sure what to expect.

Will know this coming weekend.

Also prepped a 2 acre field with the disc. Will burn with gly this coming weekend and then plant beans, peas, sunflowers and a little bit of corn the weekend following.

Best of luck to all.
You may have way overdone crop oil

Jim Boyd

You may have way overdone crop oil

That was a wild guess but could it hurt anything?

0.00416% crop oil in 60 gallons of water????