What to spray for nutsedge, weeds?

davel

Forgive me if this has been covered in a previous post...
I have 2 plots I need to spray. One has nothing growing at the moment except grass, weeds and a ton of nutsedge. Sprayed gly last year and didn't touch the nutsedge. I want to smoke everything in this plot so I can plant brassicas in September. Not a fan of herbicides that are soil active. I've read sedgehammer is the best but heard it is soil active for 3 years and cant plant anything edible without waiting. What do you suggest?
Second plot is my clover/chicory plot. Clover still there but deer hammered the chicory. I sprayed cleth to kill the grass in the plot. Did good last year but this year it turned the bahia brown but not dead. Have a few weeds and a few nutsedge as well. What do you recommend here? This is my best plot and deer in it every night so I don't want to spray something that will harm them.
Thank you for any advice!

doomtrpr_z71

Sledgehammer is soil active you can used glyphosate but the rate is 3qts /ac. Clethodim will be the best choice in the second plot, it takes 2 applications if the plants are big.

Last edited:

davel

So if I increase my glyphosate rate I will kill the nutsedge in the weed plot?
I am planning on hitting my clover plot with another round of clethodim but wondered about what to spray for the weeds because deer are feeding on it every day.
Thanks.

doomtrpr_z71

Yes, bump it to 3qts if it's generic and it will kill it, once the clethodim is dry it's fine they may quit eating for a day or two until the oil dissipates but it should clear up quick.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So if I increase my glyphosate rate I will kill the nutsedge in the weed plot?
I am planning on hitting my clover plot with another round of clethodim but wondered about what to spray for the weeds because deer are feeding on it every day.
Thanks.
No. Glyphosate will not permanantly kill nutsedge. There are places I have been spraying for ten years, and it keeps coming back. Tank mix Sedgehammer and glyphosate.

davel

I think I'll try the glyphosate because i want to plant something there this fall. Has anyone tried the generic for Slay? It says it will kill nutsedge as well as other weeds. Looks like the cheaper version is Pursuit or Thunder...active ingredient is ammonium salt of imazethapyr - 22.87%

davel

3 quarts will kill the tubers with 95% efficacy, Stanley Culpeper will give you the exact same recommendation.

The plus in gly star plus is just because it has a copy cat surfactant from the old weathermax.
Thanks Doom. One more question. I have a 25 gallon Chapin mix on exit sprayer. The concentrate tank holds 2 gallons. There are settings from 1 (lowest) to 7 (highest). If I wanted to spray 3 quarts per acre should I just set it on the highest setting? I'd have to look but I think their chart of settings is oz per gallon. #1 is 1oz per gallon...etc until you get to #6. That is 10oz per gallon and #7 is 15oz per gallon.
It takes about 16 gallons to spray an acre. I know this because I use 16oz of cleth per acre.
So, I would use a setting of either #5 which would do around 80oz of gly and be a little low or use #6 which would be a little high.
I could also use the 53.8% higher concentrate of gly???
Sorry, I know that was a lot.

doomtrpr_z71

Thanks Doom. One more question. I have a 25 gallon Chapin mix on exit sprayer. The concentrate tank holds 2 gallons. There are settings from 1 (lowest) to 7 (highest). If I wanted to spray 3 quarts per acre should I just set it on the highest setting? I'd have to look but I think their chart of settings is oz per gallon. #1 is 1oz per gallon...etc until you get to #6. That is 10oz per gallon and #7 is 15oz per gallon.
It takes about 16 gallons to spray an acre. I know this because I use 16oz of cleth per acre.
So, I would use a setting of either #5 which would do around 80oz of gly and be a little low or use #6 which would be a little high.
I could also use the 53.8% higher concentrate of gly???
Sorry, I know that was a lot.
If I understand you right and 6 is 10oz per gallon and you're doing 16gpa I'd do 3 qts per acre of glyphosate in the tank and add 2 qts of water so you'd get 10oz/gallon of herbicide solution the extra water won't hurt.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
3 quarts will kill the tubers with 95% efficacy, Stanley Culpeper will give you the exact same recommendation.

The plus in gly star plus is just because it has a copy cat surfactant from the old weathermax.
There are several species. Perhaps you are dealing with a different one than me. I have never been able to completely eliminate the nutsedge here with glyphosate, even by spraying small patches of it with with pure 41% concentrate, undiluted with water. No water. All glyphosate. It still comes back.

Latest posts