Brassicas...

Mackie889

I wasn’t going to plant brassicas next year. I’ve planted a fall/ winter mix for the past 4 years that contains purple top turnips and daikon radishes. The deer seem to eat everything but the brassicas. I’m in SW Georgia, so maybe it doesn’t get cold enough soon enough? I’m going with a mix of wheat, grain rye, forage oats, winter peas, crimson clover, and I’m throwing in some iron & clay peas. I’ve heard that a momma doe has to teach their fawns to eat the brassicas … guess my momma does don’t like them?

B. White

Before I put an electric fence around the garden, they liked every broccoli, cauliflower, collards, spinach, etc. that I transplanted. Turnip patch was about all that survived and seemed to be their least favorite. They like crimson clover and it is easy to overseed, so I stick with it where I want to slow deer down.

sghoghunter

They’re nibbling on the tops of my radishes and turnips a little here and there. A couple years ago they wiped out the turnips in the garden

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 17

NMH5050

My experience is that brassicas really shine in late November thru the end of season and that radishes are preferred over turnip greens, although both will be eaten down to the ground before green up.

December and January are the months that food plots do their heavy lifting. Love hunting the edge of a food plot in the afternoon during December.

We've killed a lot of our bucks either in, or coming in to a food plot over the years.

I do love my Black Widow. Sad to report that I'm 0 for 3 on bucks this season. My last kill was a small 7 pt on last day of season back in Jan.

Are you still planting them? I have a big field that is 15 acers that I want to do a variety in next season and your pictures of the radishes looks great! I was think about doing them in one section.

Meriwether Mike

I walked some of our plots yesterday and they are wearing out the turnips right now. I am glad that they are getting used and helping the deer thru Winter. Not much activity during deer season, but plots are for helping them thru the tough times of Winter as well.