Help planning a FL keys trip UPDATE POST 38

doomtrpr_z71

I hope you enjoy the pics, I've always went to the keys on the cheap and with my wife so the fishing hasn't been at the forefront of the trips, I pulled my boat down in 16 to try and fish during the windiest winter/spring ever or so I was told at bud and mary's. I left it in the boat basin the majority of that trip and I regret not taking it slow and easing into the backcountry to get out of the wind. I wanted to bridge fish when I was down earlier this year but I'm 99% sure I had covid and it was a work trip so I was limited on playtime.

billy336

Islamorada is your best bet. Marathon is a bit rough around the edges, key west is a tourist trap, Key Largo gets pounded by Cubans outta Miami with hand lines keeping hand sized snapper. June is the month to go. John Gargan at whale harbor marina is a 35 yr guide there 3053932714.

bluemarlin

Nobody has mentioned John Pennekamp State Park yet.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/john-pennekamp-coral-reef-state-park

The park facilities are fine, but if you are a diver or snorkler, the underwater environment is absolutely stunning. You really shouldn't miss this,

Meh.. Key Largo... Pretty much caters to divers and snorkelers.

One thing everyone should realize about the Florida Keys is there is excellent fishing from pulling your truck off US 1.. You can catch Tarpon and bonefish all up and down the Keys. Couple spots I recommend is Harry Harris or Lower Matecumbe for bonefish. Buy some frozen shrimp, pinch the heads off and throw half the bag as far as you can around where you wade in and use 1 for bait. Tarpon can be hooked at all the bridges around Islamorada on a outgoing tide. Go to a marina and ask a charter boat for some of the fish carcasses after they clean them in the afternoons. Cut the belly meat off and use for bait and chum with the rest. It's up to you to catch the tarpon from land but you'll get bites from them, and several species of sharks.

bluemarlin

Islamorada is your best bet. Marathon is a bit rough around the edges, key west is a tourist trap, Key Largo gets pounded by Cubans outta Miami with hand lines keeping hand sized snapper. June is the month to go. John Gargan at whale harbor marina is a 35 yr guide there 3053932714.

John Gargan is close to the last captain I'd recommend. Being there 35 years has taught him one thing... He's a master of the boat ride and his single screw sled should be added to the reef.

Basically just stay away from Whale Harbor.. There's a few guys there like Benny Spaulding on the Play Baby or maybe Kay K but if you're serious about catching fish w some of the best crews then pick a boat at Bud n Mary's. Don't believe me spend some time down there and go to Post Card Marina, Whale Harbor, and Bud n Mary's and you'll quickly grasp the difference.

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

Good advise all around...

I've fished there when I was pretty well off, and I've been there when I was broke.

If you want a cheap motel - The Blue Fin Inn (or Key Lantern in Islamorada).

For about $40 more/night with a dock - Breezy Palm

If you are willing to camp - Bahia Honda State Park in Big Pine Key

If you go in early June - Tarpon and Bonefish all around - that's what I would do.

If you take boat - get a motel with a dock

If not and you want to rent a boat -

1) Bud & Mary's (heck, I've paid for their old Dolphin skiff)
2) Robbie's - they used to rent boats anyway - every year, they become even more of a tourist trap
3) Seabird Marina - Long Key (they have a little lodging for rent)

I would stay between somewhere between Islamorada and Big Pine - you can day trip to see everything else.

Rich M

Last week of April, first 2 weeks of May for poons. Wind will be a 50/50 bet.

Mangroves wl be against pilings on bridges or in the sand spots on outside of channels. The ladies like catching them and you can use a sabiki to catch ballyhoo while they catch snapper if you chum.

Yellowtail are in 100 ft.

Live bait for ajs off humps.

Speed jigs for blackfin.

Mahi are hit and miss.

Bonefish are always in the back country.

Only seen 2 permit in my life. Can't help there.

Cudas are easy and will hit lures, blue runners, and dead bait on bottom. Cudas are good bait for sharks.

Robust Redhorse

The weather "usually" settles down in June, so you don't have to contend with too much wind.

Nevertheless, if it's windy from NE to SW - fish the backcountry. Find a flat that is leeward from the wind and fish for the flats for bonefish. Or fish for tarpon - live bait or the cut bait fish bellies in the back country channels (you will probably get many sharks for every tarpon hookup)

If the wind is from the N to West - fish oceanside.

If you are a fly-fisherman, this is very important.

If you fish bait, it's not as important.

Assuming you can get a boat and you fish bait:

For tarpon - pinfish or live crab 6' on 100 lb. mono leader under a float.
For bonefish - try to sight fish and cast a shrimp on a jighead well ahead of cruising fish.

If you have to wade or fish from a bridge, I would not bother with tarpon - a big one will spool you in 60 seconds unless you are fishing with giant shark tackle and 80-130 line.

Wading oceanside and blind casting can get you bonefish.

You want to avoid wading bayside, or you will sink up in muddy flats - I still have a pair of wading shoes down there somewhere!

Ihunt

I caught my first tarpon this year. While I’ve only caught one, I much prefer spinner sharks over tarpon. Easier to catch and the aerial display is better. I will say that tarpon made my arms tired and when he finally quit I was glad!

Robust Redhorse

I hooked a big spinner shark while tarpon fishing under the bridge at Long Key with a pinfish 6' under a bobber.

It made the second giant leap before I noticed it was not a tarpon, then promptly bit through the #100 mono and was gone!

Robust Redhorse

I have, literally, cranked on a #150 tarpon for 6 hours before I could grab the leader on a 30 pound outfit.

Then, I watched my son get a 50-pounder to the boat in less than 10 minutes on a fly rod.

You never know with tarpon!

Ihunt

I’m also going to The Keys the last of March and first of April. We don’t care what we catch so it’ll be a blast. First time ever for me and I’m ready!

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Is there a second better time of year to go lobster diving? Maybe in the fall? Or do they all get caught early in the season?
Kids are in school on opening week and heard mini season was stupid packed.

Heading down Feb 13 for several days of swordfishing. How did your trip go?

bullgator

Just don’t wear anything with a rainbow on it!

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Ok update, we are going 3rd week in aug. Staying at the gulf view water front resort.
Buddy is bringing a 16 ft skiff. Would that be safe to take to any reefs or wrecks to get on some big fish?
Planning on going to theJesus statue
Lobster diving
Snorkeling, best reefs?
Fishing?
Bahia honda
Key west, day trip

We go every year have been for along time , don’t stay in islamorada like some have said unless your ready to pay top dollar for everything. It’s a tourist trap. Go ahead and stay down in big pine area and pay half price , going to the keys without a boat is like going hunting without a gun. I would not recommend .

DynamicDennis

John Gargan is close to the last captain I'd recommend. Being there 35 years has taught him one thing... He's a master of the boat ride and his single screw sled should be added to the reef.

Basically just stay away from Whale Harbor.. There's a few guys there like Benny Spaulding on the Play Baby or maybe Kay K but if you're serious about catching fish w some of the best crews then pick a boat at Bud n Mary's. Don't believe me spend some time down there and go to Post Card Marina, Whale Harbor, and Bud n Mary's and you'll quickly grasp the difference.
Bud n marys is a tourist trap, you better come with a wad of cash or those stanciak clowns wont even look at you. I wouldnt pay them a single dollar of my hard earned money, take your business somewhere else