Herbicide for Clover Plot

Dean

Sorry, I am sure there is a thread here somewhere that addresses this.....late start on working plot that has clover survived from last Fall plantings. I know that clethodim (grasses) and 2,4-D for broadleaf is a preferred method for weed control in established clover. However, have some glyphosate in hand and "hear' reports of lower dose on clover works too. In the interest of time, if I have 1.5 acre in clover that was bush hogged couple weeks ago, what ratio of glyphosate have you sprayed with success? Understand it's typically called for ounces per acres, but looking for recommendations on how many ounces per gallon to effectively spray 1.5 acre (standard boom sprayer tip, no idea as to UTV mph for example - just going to spray). Access to tank ranging from 10 gal - 60 gal.

Plan is to overseed, maybe drill, maybe broadcast prior to rain some cover crop (wheat, oats, brassica etc) in couple weeks on clover after spraying.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I know that clethodim (grasses) and 2,4-D for broadleaf is a preferred method for weed control in established clover.

That would be 2-4-Db, not 2-4-D. 2-4-D will kill your clover dead right there.:wink: You can use glyphosate but be careful. If you want to kill grasses Poast or the generic sethoxydim is what you want for clover plots.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
How many gallons does it take you to spray the 1.5 acre? My sprayer/speed is calibrated to 25 gallons water for 3/4 acre. don't know ground speed as I don't have a mph on my 4 wheeler.
As elfii stated 24d will kill your clover barnyard dead. The glysohpate dose will vary depending on if it is 21% 41% or 50% active.I use a 4 oz per gallon in my hand sprayer and kill everything in 5 days that it contacts.

Dean

Thanks, sorry. Yea, made enough mistakes to always be sure I measure twice cut once, understand the 2-4d, 2-4db distinction.…..miss-typed in my haste.
The glyso is 41% -
Just curious if the Poast or sethoxydim has any 'dirt' residual that prohibits new seed (wheat, oats, A. rye etc) planting within some time frame after spraying?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks, sorry. Yea, made enough mistakes to always be sure I measure twice cut once, understand the 2-4d, 2-4db distinction.…..miss-typed in my haste.
The glyso is 41% -
Just curious if the Poast or sethoxydim has any 'dirt' residual that prohibits new seed (wheat, oats, A. rye etc) planting within some time frame after spraying?

You should be gtg to plant your cereal grains after you have given the herbicide a chance to do it's job first. It will take about a week for you to get a good burn on your grasses.