Herter’s rifle ammo?

GAHUNTER60

Anybody ever hunted with it?

I’m particularly interested in their 150-grain, .308 Win. Ammo, which is priced pretty reasonably at $25.99 a box. I’m getting low on.308 brass and this might be a good option to not only create reloadable brass, but have some already loaded ammo on hand for hunting should I not get around to loading any.

My only concern is the soft point bullet they use might be too frangible for deer. I like my bullets to stay in one piece when doing their dirty work!

Lilly001

Assuming here.
The bullet is most likely a “cup and core” design that has been killing deer for decades.
But those style bullets will, occasionally, fragment if pushed too fast.
Make sure it is brass cased. I have some .308 Herters that is steel cased (it’s FMJ).
It’s IMHO ok for most deer. Similar to Power point or Corelocks.
Just don’t expect a lot of repeatability in performance.

Dub

Sounds like a roll of the dice for hunting ammo.

Personally, I’d reach past it and grab the Federal Power-Shock, Hornady American Whitetail or other known quantity.

If you just wanted some shoot’em up range stuff….sure.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Norma has run their .308 as low as $16 in the off season. Order from them or PSA. Much better choice for your dollars I think.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Cabelas/Bass Pro owns Herters brand. They contract various ammo makers to make and label Herters ammo for them. One manufacturer does not make the entire Herters line. The manufacturers vary on who makes what and for how long until the contract runs out.
So, if you find something you like, buy a bunch of it then because in a year or two it may contain a different powder, bullet and primer yet still be labeled the same.

Bobby Bigtime

I bought several boxes of 150 grain 30-06 a while back for 12.99 a box. The stuff shoots as well as most factory. I bought it because it was cheap and for that jic that looms in an old man's brain. It is in the green box I believed it was of foreign manufacture for some reason.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
You really ought to have no problem finding proven cup-and-core options (Core -Lokt, Power-Shok, American Whitetail, etc.) for less than that if you're willing to spread out the shipping with other items... Maybe peek around on ammoseek.com.

Personally, a box of hunting ammo lasted me for multiple animals and seasons before I started reloading, so I'm not terrible concerned with the cost.