hog trapping question

mike bell

Im finally getting around to finishing the hog trap I started a few years ago but since we lost the club with hogs it never got finished.

After I finished welding the panel on the side, all that will be left is it make a door. and add the panels for the top and floor. Not sure if I'm going to weld the top and floor or not in case I need to remove them incase there's an issue. Like an unwanted animal, as in deer, gator etc....

Ive been looking on you tube and still cant decide on how to make the door. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a old trapper (15 years experience) he said to make a hinged door. that they worked best because they allowed more to come in unlike the guillotine style. I forgot to ask which works better side door style where they slide in, or top mounted where they have to scoot under and in.

Size is 5' tall x 10' long x 4' high. Made out of 1" sq steel welded boxed and wrapped in cattle/hog panel. I haven't done anything to the door end yet.

Any recommendations based on your experiences??

Brad30110

My recommendation is side hinge that opens into the pin with a heavy spring. We use braided fishing line to setup a tripwire in the back of the pin. They hit the wire door slams shut. If a outside hog wants in then he just pushes in but a inside hog cannot get out. There's a lot of different methods.

Attachments

• 11325_10200718040658382_1223486791_n.jpg
    11325_10200718040658382_1223486791_n.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 275
Last edited: