Hornady Precision Hunter 7mmRemMag 162grn ELD-X and Browning X-Bolt

cmshoot

Had a couple of guys hire me for a 2-day private class over the weekend, to get ready for a Dall ram hunt in Alaska this summer.

They bought identical rifles and optics; Browning X-Bolt Stalker Long-Range in 7mm RemMag. Synthetic stock, 26" barrel with factory screwed on brake, matte blued finish.

Scope was Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50mm MOAR (A492), in Burris rings with a Talley Picatinny rail mount.

I'm really impressed with the rifle. Fit and finish was excellent, bolt was smooth with a 60 degree lift, 3 round detachable flush-fit magazine, and the X-Bolt mounting system is TOUGH. There are 8 attaching screws total; 4 in the front and 4 in the back, each set of 4 situated in an X-pattern. Very solid. I was really impressed with the trigger. While a little heavier than I prefer, they had absolutely no creep or overtravel, and the profile is almost flat. Best factory trigger I've ever felt on a hunting rifle. I estimated it at 4lbs-4.5lbs, and it is adjustable from 3-5lbs. Recoil with the brake was very manageable and not overly loud.

I like the little polymer magazines. Load easy, feed smoothly, and in the magazine the rounds are in a slight spiral, similar to a Steyr SSG69 magazine.

They contacted me prior to the course and asked about ammo. I am very unfamiliar with 7mmRemMag ammo, so I did some research, and recommended the Hornady Precision Hunter 7mm Remington Magnum 162grn ELD-X. In all other calibers that I've seen that line of ammo shot in, they were always accurate. The ELD-X has excellent terminal performance and fit the intended game.

I installed the rail and mounted the scope at the range.

This model of rifle, with this ammo, is a shooter! Definite sub-MOA, even the worst 3-shot groups were 1MOA, and the best were an easy .5MOA. All of these groups were with the students shooting it. I shot several rounds, but they were at longer distances on steel.

They said they bought the rifles from Cabela's and paid under $800 each. Excellent deal for the performance.

We were on a 400 yard range, so that's as far as we shot. These two gentleman are going to come up to Pelham TN in April to catch part of the second day of a 1,000yd Basic Precision Rifle Course I'm teaching and get a little more dope on their rifles.

Of course, you never know how a given rifle will perform with a given load, but if you're looking for some accurate ammo for your 7mmRemMag, and the 162grn ELD-X fits the game you're after, give this stuff a try.

Semper Fi!

Big7

The Oracle
That Remington 7MM Mag is hard to beat. You mentioned you didn't have a whole lot of experience with that caliber. I do. I've got two recorded targets, 5 shots each. (edit: 2 targets, five shots each @ 1000 yards at Ft. Benning) That is my favorite round even though I have several rifles chambered in various calibers. I'd be more than happy to share my most accurate loads with you via PM. Some are not listed so I don't post in open forums. But due to your experience, I'll give them to you. I can even load your clients a few if you like. Let me know if interested. If you have a long range class that I can make, I'd like to come depending on when and if I don't have anything going on. I charter fish a lot starting next month. Let me know when/where your next class is. I'll see if I can make it.

Last edited:

cmshoot

That Remington 7MM Mag is hard to beat. You mentioned you didn't have a whole lot of experience with that caliber. I do. I've got two recorded targets, 5 shots each. That is my favorite round even though I have several rifles chambered in various calibers. I'd be more than happy to share my most accurate loads with you via PM. Some are not listed so I don't post in open forums. But due to your experience, I'll give them to you. I can even load your clients a few if you like. Let me know if interested. If you have a long range class that I can make, I'd like to come depending on when and if I don't have anything going on. I charter fish a lot starting next month. Let me know when/where your next class is. I'll see if I can make it.

Thanks a lot for the offer.

7mmRemMag is a very capable caliber, I just have other calibers that overlap it too much to buy one. I mostly use .308 for hunting, but also use .30-06, and .338-06AI. Currently eyeballing a .257 Bob really hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmshoot

wasn't DHS/USSS the only department to adopt the 7MM Rem Mag?

I’ve seen it used here and there as a Sniper round, especially out West in rural areas. LE Snipers can be expected to engage as longer ranges out there. All my years as a Sniper at Marietta PD, the longest distance I ever set up for on a fallout was a lasered 99 yards; most were under 75 yards. On more than one callout I left the scoped bolt action .308 in the car and used an iron-sighted M14. I’m at least 2 call outs I used a Remington 870 Police and slugs.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks a lot for the offer.

My next 1,000yd 2-day class is in Pelham TN on April 13-14.

7mmRemMag is a very capable caliber, I just have other calibers that overlap it too much to buy one. I mostly use .308 for hunting, but also use .30-06, and .338-06AI. Currently eyeballing a .257 Bob really hard.
I can get my hands on a 1 dot 6.5X55 if you need an action to build upon. I sold one on GON classifieds with dibbs if he wanted to sell it. Also, if it's not sold already I know a guy that has/had one for sale. Last time we talked was just before I went in the hospital last May. I can call him if you like. Can you give me a little specific info on the class you're teaching and the cost? I'd like to give it a try if it's in my budget. Thanks.

cmshoot

I can get my hands on a 1 dot 6.5X55 if you need an action to build upon. I sold one on GON classifieds with dibbs if he wanted to sell it. Also, if it's not sold already I know a guy that has/had one for sale. Last time we talked was just before I went in the hospital last May. I can call him if you like. Can you give me a little specific info on the class you're teaching and the cost? I'd like to give it a try if it's in my budget. Thanks.

I appreciate it, but I’m actually looking at a completed rifle a guy is selling on another board.

I’ll send you a PM with the information for the Basic Precision Rifle Course on April 13-14.

Big7

The Oracle
I appreciate it, but I’m actually looking at a completed rifle a guy is selling on another board.

I’ll send you a PM with the information for the Basic Precision Rifle Course on April 13-14.
Just sent a PM while you were typing. Sorry for the redundancy. Go ahead and respond just incase I missed something. My phone number is on the last PM. Thanks!