How To Dress And Butcher A Gar Fish

Big7

The Oracle
We been talking a little about properly butchering a Gar Fish so it's good to eat and easy to do. I know where there are some but I have never dressed or tasted one.

If it is as good as some folks on here say they are, I'm going to start keeping them for the table.

Until here lately, I considered them a trot line and jug raiding trash fish. They do make excellent turtle bait. Been there, done that.

Thoughts? ?

Big7

The Oracle

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I find a few but I'm barely half the gar man that NChillbilly is.
Not a gar man by any means, just catch a lot of them on jugs as bycatch, and shoot quite a few with a bow .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We been talking a little about properly butchering a Gar Fish so it's good to eat and easy to do. I know where there are some but I have never dressed or tasted one.

If it is as good as some folks on here say they are, I'm going to start keeping them for the table.

Until here lately, I considered them a trot line and jug raiding trash fish. They do make excellent turtle bait. Been there, done that.

Thoughts? ?

He's going to an awful lot of trouble. I never completely skin them or gut them. Just chop the head and tail off with a machete or axe (or bandsaw,) then split the hide down the middle of the back with some snips, peel the hide down a bit, and fillet the backstraps out.

Hillbilly stalker

We have an over flow dam below a larger dam. I have seen some monsters in there trapped in pools of water in the rocks. I always wanted a pretty spotted one to make a back quiver with.

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
We have an over flow dam below a larger dam. I have seen some monsters in there trapped in pools of water in the rocks. I always wanted a pretty spotted one to make a back quiver with.
Go to Nickajack tailrace in spring and tie about 8-10 inch piece of yellow nylon rope (fray the tail end half) to your heaviest rod and catch all you want. No hook needed, and they're so thick you could nearly walk across on them.