How to find and catch shad

Sumter

I’m new to the north Atlanta area and have a Jon boat to get out on allatoona and Lanier. I know shad are supposed to be great bait for stripers but have no idea where I should start looking to catch them with a cast net. Any pointers? I have a pretty standard 7’ cast net if that matters.

Angel Eyes

I catch my bait in Allatoona. Gizzards I catch in muddy water usually less than 5’ deep. Threadfin I catch in the same places as Gizzards but not always. Big schools off Threads are showing themselves on top early and late and just throw on the school’s I see. All that said sometimes you have to go at night and put a light out and attract them that way. Sometimes none of those strategies work and you have to experiment. It takes time on the water to learn Allatoona. 7’ net 3/8 mesh should be good.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
We are moving into the time of the year where they are probably the easiest to catch. In the fall they will move into the backs of the creeks and are usually very shallow. A cold snap might possible pull them out into the ditches, but it takes some mighty cold to do that.

j_seph

We are moving into the time of the year where they are probably the easiest to catch. In the fall they will move into the backs of the creeks and are usually very shallow. A cold snap might possible pull them out into the ditches, but it takes some mighty cold to do that.
I remember on Lanier one year, it was cold and I mean cold. We went into the back of flatcreek, way back. There were so many herring you could have literally walked on them with some big gizzards just under them in like 7 foot of water. Was crazy

ecoutside

Was on the toona this evening and couldn’t buy a shad in the back of Mckaskey. I’ve just recently started trying to catch them myself and having a hard time.

Sumter

The boat I’m in is a 16’, I know it’s not big but don’t want people thinking I’m out there in a 12’ boat lol

Angel Eyes

Sumter your boat is perfect for catching shad. Getting into shallow muddy water is always a advantage. Go up little river as far as you dare and start catching

Latest posts