How to keep coyote meat based bait fresh for the fall

Mike81

I had already ordered a few different meat based baits weeks ago. After learning from you guys I found out using the meat baits is not the best idea for trapping yotes in the summer. Is there a such thing of keeping the bait fresh for the fall? Should I put it in the freezer or should I do something else with it? I have it in a sealed container in the garage now.

sportsman94

When I was still on FB I was in the group Down South Trappers. There was a fella on there who used baits in the summer. He just used significantly more of it so the ants couldnt tote it off. One beautiful thing about trapping is there is all kinds of ways to do it. Just cause people tell you its not the best idea doesnt mean you shouldnt try and see for yourself

buckpasser

When I was still on FB I was in the group Down South Trappers. There was a fella on there who used baits in the summer. He just used significantly more of it so the ants couldnt tote it off. One beautiful thing about trapping is there is all kinds of ways to do it. Just cause people tell you its not the best idea doesnt mean you shouldnt try and see for yourself

For me it’s not that the ants tote it off, but they will almost instantly build a make shift “bed” over the bait. I just don’t see a coyote sticking his nose in that very well. I’ve done the best on chicken carcasses and smearing bait in corn creek plants high off the ground with the traps bedded right below. Standard dirt holes will hurt your feelings.

I’m thinking about using a pipe to bait with, similar to a pipe dream set without the fancy grass suspended traps. That might buy some time against the ants.

sportsman94

For me it’s not that the ants tote it off, but they will almost instantly build a make shift “bed” over the bait. I just don’t see a coyote sticking his nose in that very well. I’ve done the best on chicken carcasses and smearing bait in corn creek plants high off the ground with the traps bedded right below. Standard dirt holes will hurt your feelings.

I’m thinking about using a pipe to bait with, similar to a pipe dream set without the fancy grass suspended traps. That might buy some time against the ants.

My summer time trapping experience is extremely limited. Just my first year or two of trapping. Now I just seem to wait for cooler weather. I mostly just used urine, blind sets, or a little lure up high on a bush.

I cant remember the guys name on that FB page, but he caught a pile of coyotes throughout the year. I just remember his video talking about using extra bait stuck out to me.

Will definitely be interested in hearing how you do on the pipe set in summer. We just moved to a rural area and Im surrounded by a couple thousand acres I have permission to trap. May have to start a summer time line next year

buckpasser

My summer time trapping experience is extremely limited. Just my first year or two of trapping. Now I just seem to wait for cooler weather. I mostly just used urine, blind sets, or a little lure up high on a bush.

I cant remember the guys name on that FB page, but he caught a pile of coyotes throughout the year. I just remember his video talking about using extra bait stuck out to me.

Will definitely be interested in hearing how you do on the pipe set in summer. We just moved to a rural area and Im surrounded by a couple thousand acres I have permission to trap. May have to start a summer time line next year

For my purposes (deer and turkey population increase) one coyote caught in summer is worth 20 caught in winter. At least for the specific property I’m trapping on. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy trapping in winter, but they can backfill so quickly that I don’t really waste my time. Unless they start acting up, I try to leave their little society intact until they are licking their chops for fawn meat.

Mike81

For my purposes (deer and turkey population increase) one coyote caught in summer is worth 20 caught in winter. At least for the specific property I’m trapping on. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy trapping in winter, but they can backfill so quickly that I don’t really waste my time. Unless they start acting up, I try to leave their little society intact until they are licking their chops for fawn meat.
Do you have any luck catching coyotes in the summer with a fox gland lure?

buckpasser

Do you have any luck catching coyotes in the summer with a fox gland lure?

I don’t have any experience with summertime fox gland lure. Sorry.

cj580guitar

When you use the fox gland are you using a flat or hole set? Where do you like to apply the fox gland?
If it’s a dirt hole then down the hole. If it’s a flat set then I try to put it under something like a small rock or piece of wood or anything that’s at your set that’s natural.