Humor Me: Semi-Custom Rifle

SC Hunter

I know you said you don't want a magnum caliber, but I also don't like recoil much. I had a 300 wsm winchester model 70 synthetic that kicked less than my browning abolt 270. Good luck on your quest for the perfect gun.

Pitweiler

Someone posted about owning a few 338 Federal rifles. I was just looking over handled data and it appears that reproducing factory performance isn't easy when handloading. Can anyone speak to this from experience?

B Man

The 243 with the right loads will work no doubt about it, but a magnum would be better. If you don't like magnum recoil that's understandable and no sense in hunting with something you can't shoot comfortable. Above all else marksmanship is #1 priority, placing the shot in the correct place. But, I would skip over the 243 to a min of the 260, 7mm-08, or better 308. If the gun can properly chamber the rounds a 6.5x284 or 284win is a great choice.

A magnum is nice for hunting elk, but you will be fine with a standard caliber your very comfortable with and the right load.

B Man

The 243 with the right loads will work no doubt about it, but a magnum would be better. If you don't like magnum recoil that's understandable and no sense in hunting with something you can't shoot comfortable. Above all else marksmanship is #1 priority, placing the shot in the correct place. But, I would skip over the 243 to a min of the 260, 7mm-08, or better 308. If the gun can properly chamber the rounds a 6.5x284 or 284win is a great choice.

A magnum is nice for hunting elk, but you will be fine with a standard caliber your very comfortable with and the right load.

GAHUNTER60

What I'm about to say goes totally against my nature, because I've spent a lifetime avoiding "boring" calibers. But you should simply consider building your rifle in plain old .308 Winchester -- the second most boring caliber there is (the first is .30-06, of course).

Like the venerable '06, the .308 is available with factory bullets from light enough for the smallest Cous deer, to heavy enough for the largest grizzly bear (did you see Sue Akin take down that grizzly with one shot from her AR-10?). It's long-range accuracy is legendary, and is the caliber of choice for the U.S. Military in the M-40 sniper rifle. I used it in the 1967 National Matches in Camp Perry, Ohio to shoot the 1000 yard Wimbelton Match (open sights), and placed second in the nation in the 600-yard prone match.

Yes, I like the .260 Rem. (I own one), and believe the 7-08 to be about the best deer round in existence. I am also a fan (understatement) of the .358 Winchester, which I believe to be the most under appreciated caliber for large game ever. But none of these are truly "all-round" calibers like the .308.

(The opinions expressed above are those of the author, and should be taken with a grain of salt -- unless, of course, you have high blood pressure -- in which case should be taken with a glass of carrot juice and a cup of low sodium, non-fat yogurt..... On second thought, pass the salt!)

A lot of talk about the great .308 and 30/06, not to mention the 7/08. When designed less than a decade ago, the .338 Fed used new proprietary powders and became the most efficient of the cartridges based on the .308 platform. An interesting read to be found in the link below. Try to keep in mind that factory 180gr .338 Fed spits out at about 200 FPS faster than Factory 180gr 308 and over 100 FPS faster than factory 180gr/'06.

The 200gr Fusion load that my rifle shoots sub MOA is the same velocity as a 180/'06. My rifle also shoots the older 180gr Accubond load to sub MOA and the deer I killed with that load had a very short blood trail that was unbelievable. The 200gr killed just as well on the deer I took with it, but not quite the blood trail to follow (not actually needed as they all fell in sight)

For those interested, here's that link:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/uncategorized/gunsmoke_0604/

My SS M77 Hawkeye in .338 Fed with another SS Hawkeye in 358 and with a M77 in .284

Attachments

• MVC-014F-4-1.jpg
    MVC-014F-4-1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 124
  • MVC-009F-7-1.JPG
    MVC-009F-7-1.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 123

Darien1

I keep hearing everyone mention the .308 Winchester and I understand that you want something different. I don't know beans about building custom guns but I know about different rounds. If you want something different, lower recoil, long range accuracy and terminial power do some research on a custom gun in .308 Marlin Express. The Savage .300 comes to mind also.

JohnK

If I had a light weight moa rifle I would keep it just like it is and get me something else to play with...fo' sure

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
You could get a Browning BAR in a magnum caliber that absorbed a lot of recoil. Mine is a 30-06 and I don't mind the recoil at all.

gt40

Attachments

• 30-06 BAR .JPG
    30-06 BAR .JPG
    265 KB · Views: 190

B Man

If it makes ur decision easier on magnum vs standard I have a friend who just got back from New Mexico elk hunting. Killed a big bull that soaked up 4 shots in the boiler room from a 7mm Rem Mag before going to sleep. Between it & the 300 WM is known as the go to elk cartridge also. Moral, they are big animals and don't always just drop in there tracks like a little deer. Like bear, you want a cartridge that can penetrate through and through to make it into the vitals. Pick the biggest gun your comfortable with, then a heavy for caliber bullet with good weight retention, make the shot count, and bring home your bull.

Flaustin1

All this talk has got me wanting a .338 Federal BAD! Maybe even give one of them rugers a try.

Jetjockey

If it makes ur decision easier on magnum vs standard I have a friend who just got back from New Mexico elk hunting. Killed a big bull that soaked up 4 shots in the boiler room from a 7mm Rem Mag before going to sleep. Between it & the 300 WM is known as the go to elk cartridge also. Moral, they are big animals and don't always just drop in there tracks like a little deer. Like bear, you want a cartridge that can penetrate through and through to make it into the vitals. Pick the biggest gun your comfortable with, then a heavy for caliber bullet with good weight retention, make the shot count, and bring home your bull.

If you double lung them or hit them in the heart, they will go down. If you single lung one without breaking a shoulder, your probably in for a LONG tracking job. I've heard rumors of elk going a few miles before piling up on a single lung shot. That's why small calibers are poor choices for elk. If you hit a rib with a small bullet, and it deflects the bullet around the vitals, you get a lost elk, even on a shot you might think was a perfect shot. Big hard bullets tend to carry through like freight trains, but still aren't completely immune to the affects of deflection from bones! I aim for the far side of the animal where I want the exit hole to be. And I ALWAYS want an exit hole if possible.

B Man

If you double lung them or hit them in the heart, they will go down. If you single lung one without breaking a shoulder, your probably in for a LONG tracking job. I've heard rumors of elk going a few miles before piling up on a single lung shot. That's why small calibers are poor choices for elk. If you hit a rib with a small bullet, and it deflects the bullet around the vitals, you get a lost elk, even on a shot you might think was a perfect shot. Big hard bullets tend to carry through like freight trains, but still aren't completely immune to the affects of deflection from bones! I aim for the far side of the animal where I want the exit hole to be. And I ALWAYS want an exit hole if possible.

He was on a guided hunt, and some guides don't care where the first shot strikes you shoot until it falls. I'm not arguing about caliber, I have my personal preference and I respect others. Just sharing a recent experience.

leoparddog

A .284Win would make a sweet middle ground here, but brass is hard to find and ammo is expensive. Of the short action alternatives (for me) the only decent options are the 308 and 338Fed - if the "big ten" is just a theoretical exercise. If I was planning on really hunting the big 10 or even most of them, I'd have a medium rifle and a "heavy" hitter.

I built a 338-06 thinking I'd take it Elk hunting one day, but I wouldn't be afraid of carrying my 280 with quality 150 or 160gr bullets.

Buzz

If you are serious about hunting on somewhat expensive hunts like an elk hunt, sheep etc. , just sell the rifle and buy a .30-06, 7mm RM, .270 Win, .280 Remington, etc. All of those will work and you'll be done. A good rifle costs a trivial amount compared to most of these hunts.

Personally - I'd rather build a semi custom off a Remington than a Ruger and I've built customs off both.

Pitweiler

After reading all the opinions on this thread, doing my own research, and thinking about it, I'm going to head in a different direction. I'm going to keep the rifle chambered as is. The big hunts aren't in the budget for another several years and I'd like to gain some first hand experience with the 243 WIN before I make any decisions about it.