Hunting Bag Dump

Been out west a few times. Carried quite a bit of that stuff the first day or first morning. Spent midday going thru pack and removing a bunch of stuff I thought I could not live without. Always have raingear or a large contractor size garbage bag for a poncho. Extra fleece vest or jacket. Water, you can get dehydrated quickly in the low humidity. Flashlight extra batteries and knife. Trail mix. TP

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
In the next day or two I`ll get you up a picture of my possibles bag and the few items I carry in it. During any hunting season it hangs on the hatrack by the door, so when I take the urge to go hunting, I grab it and hat, my rifle, walk out the door, and commence to hunting. It has the few items I need. And if I have to spend an emergency night in the woods, it has all I need to spend a comfortable night.

It won`t have all the stuff most carry in their backpack. I travel light, pre 1840 style.

krizia829

Now I know how Johnny Morris got so rich .
Easy to say when you hunt where you live! I don't but luckily for me, I worked for Mr Johnny. Got my discount on everything for 7 years! :LOL:

Rabun

Kinda depends for me. Depending on the area I'm hunting, I'll pack differently. Some areas like easily accessible WMA's (not located in CNF), I will pack knives, drag, food, water, hammock seat, TP, phone, maps, 2 flashlights, two compasses, marking tape and that's about it packed in a lumbar type pack and my pockets. When I go more back country i will have above plus game bags, survival gear (WP matches, tinder, first aid, whistle, etc), life straw, SOL large poncho, para cord, folding saw, extra batts, a third flashlight, light sticks, packed in a frame pack and pockets. Back country I will also have my chest rig with .40 and/or pocket LCR in .22lr. And one thing I have been toting lately is my PLB...I'm getting older and continue to hunt alone and if something would happen to me back in the mountains, I would like to be found while still breathing.

krizia829

Kinda depends for me. Depending on the area I'm hunting, I'll pack differently. Some areas like easily accessible WMA's (not located in CNF), I will pack knives, drag, food, water, hammock seat, TP, phone, maps, 2 flashlights, two compasses, marking tape and that's about it packed in a lumbar type pack and my pockets. When I go more back country i will have above plus game bags, survival gear (WP matches, tinder, first aid, whistle, etc), life straw, SOL large poncho, para cord, folding saw, extra batts, a third flashlight, light sticks, packed in a frame pack and pockets. Back country I will also have my chest rig with .40 and/or pocket LCR in .22lr. And one thing I have been toting lately is my PLB...I'm getting older and continue to hunt alone and if something would happen to me back in the mountains, I would like to be found while still breathing.
Love it! That's a great mentality to have! It's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! Great list!

TimBray

Since I've gotten older, I tend to haul less in with me on the lease, even when I plan to sit all day. ;)
All-day hunts off the lease are a different story although that hasn't happened in several years. :unsure:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

Come to one of our primitive skills schools. You will profit from it, learn a few things, and really enjoy it. It will add to your outdoor experiences.

Rabun

Come to one of our primitive skills schools. You will profit from it, learn a few things, and really enjoy it. It will add to your outdoor experiences.

I should do that. When and where are they typically located Nic. I think it would be something I'd enjoy and get a lot out of.