.44 Mag

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I say shoot it, but keep an eye out for the stock cracking behind the tang. Those are fine rifles.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Anybody hunt with one? My wife has a Winchester lever gun that my nephew killed his first deer with. I picked up a Ruger carbine, and I still haven't shot it or carried it in the woods yet. It's from 1975 and in really good condition. Hunt it or keep it a safe queen?

Absolutely hunt with that rifle! The .44 Mag from a rifle barrel is a perfect 100 yard deer flattener!

As for the Ruger...Back in the day the manual plainly stated to use only 240gr factory loads in it.

There used to be a thing from Georgia Arms called a deer stopper .44. It was a hot loaded 180gr JHP.

It cracked a many a Ruger stock. So did 300 grainers at normal velocities. There are no more stocks available on this planet. Boyd's used to make them, but quit back about 10-15 years ago. I've heard they'll still one off you a stock, but it's crazy money, and you'll have to do some fitting.

Try anything fancy in that carbine, and you'll probably regret it.

Stick to a basic 240 factory load, and you'll love it!!

I sure do!

Bucaramus

Absolutely hunt with that rifle! The .44 Mag from a rifle barrel is a perfect 100 yard deer flattener!

As for the Ruger...Back in the day the manual plainly stated to use only 240gr factory loads in it.

There used to be a thing from Georgia Arms called a deer stopper .44. It was a hot loaded 180gr JHP.

It cracked a many a Ruger stock. So did 300 grainers at normal velocities. There are no more stocks available on this planet. Boyd's used to make them, but quit back about 10-15 years ago. I've heard they'll still one off you a stock, but it's crazy money, and you'll have to do some fitting.

I sure do!
I think I have several boxes of 240 Hornady. I'll have to check to be sure.

Bucaramus

No guns should be safe queens, they were meant to be used. I have a CVA Scout in 44 Mag that I hunt with. Haven’t killed anything with it yet . I use a 300gr Hornady in it (same bullet I use in my muzzleloader with a sabot).
Wasn't really intentional, but I've got some I shoot a fair amount, some I've only shoot a few times and some I've never shot. I have a few favorites for deer hunting but just can't pass up a good deal.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Why own a gun that you don't shoot or tote? It's worthless then, and you might as well not even own it. I don't understand the concept of a "safe queen." Buy a painting instead. :)
Those Ruger carbines are fine rifles.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Got a carbine last year and put a scope on it and got it close enough until I have time to take it to the range. Loaded some XTPs with H110 and will be taking it to the woods some. I don't plan on shooting it a lot, but don't buy anything I ain't going to shoot.

View attachment 1305680

I inherited one of those that was made in the 1960s. No scope but is has a Williams peep sight on it. It`s a fine little rifle and a great boat gun too.

Hillbilly stalker

I sure do!
I’ve had my carbine for 20 plus years. I knew when I bought it that the stock had been repaired behind the tang. The black paint was a dead give away. Just on a fluke I started looking for a spare in case that one ever gave up the ghost. That was before the internet was available to me. I called Boyd’s and they had a couple. They were around $85, I thought that was outrageous, but bit the bullet and bought one. I’m glad I did now. That was 2009 according to the packing slip. I wished I had bought all they had now.IMG_3064.jpegIMG_3065.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have always wanted one of those. I do not for the life of me understand why Ruger quit making them. They would sell like hotcakes now.

Hillbilly stalker

I have always wanted one of those. I do not for the life of me understand why Ruger quit making them. They would sell like hotcakes now.
Bill Ruger took one to Africa and killed the big 5 with it. My buddy and his brother have 2 that their daddy bought them when they were around 13 years old. Brand new they were $96 a piece he told me. Now when you find one they look like they been drug behind a truck and the price usually starts at around $650 plus. There’s a HUGE gun store ( Mid South Guns) in a very small town of Wagrum Nc that has them ever now and again. They had 3 last time one of my buddies was there, he bought 2 of them. They move quick.

Bucaramus

Why own a gun that you don't shoot or tote? It's worthless then, and you might as well not even own it. I don't understand the concept of a "safe queen." Buy a painting instead. :)
Those Ruger carbines are fine rifles.
I guess because I can. I wouldn't say worthless. I can still feed them bullets and they'll fire when and if I decide to. 2 are put up for my granddaughter and 2 are put up for the grandson. Those will get fired when they are ready. Granddaughters is the Winchester .44 lever gun that's only been hunted by my nephew and wife. Other is a stainless, cerakoted 350 Legend. Got my grandson a 30-30 lever action, never fired by me and a sweet .308 BLR that has been hunted by me and his dad. The grandson doesn't show a whole lot of interest in hunting at 10 yo but the 5 yo granddaughter is fired up!