Hunting with "little" cartridges...

Steven037

This was a factory 103eldx. Slight quartering shot through the shoulder. Didn’t get an exit, which I normally do. Found the bullet under the skin on the opposite side about 3/4 the way down the rib cage. It’s a BA 1/7 twist barrel in a BCM upper. The scope is the new Arken 1x8 and it’s perfect for what I use it for. We don’t shoot over 200 and usually less than 100. She was at 88. Once I get the load dialed in I’ll be shooting hand loaded 103 or 90 eldx.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.jpeg
    IMG_0881.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 3

175rltw

BANNED
This was a factory 103eldx. Slight quartering shot through the shoulder. Didn’t get an exit, which I normally do. Found the bullet under the skin on the opposite side about 3/4 the way down the rib cage. It’s a BA 1/7 twist barrel in a BCM upper. The scope is the new Arken 1x8 and it’s perfect for what I use it for. We don’t shoot over 200 and usually less than 100. She was at 88. Once I get the load dialed in I’ll be shooting hand loaded 103 or 90 eldx.
I mean that’s pretty much perfect bullet performance how well does it hold up up close inside of 50 closer to 25? Are you still getting exits and are you seeing excessive bloodshot / onside trauma at shorter ranges?Or does your Scenario not present those real close shots?

Steven037

I mean that’s pretty much perfect bullet performance how well does it hold up up close inside of 50 closer to 25? Are you still getting exits and are you seeing excessive bloodshot / onside trauma at shorter ranges?Or does your Scenario not present those real close shots?
Closer in and farther I’ve gotten pass through. I think this one just squared up the shoulder bone perfectly. It was shattered. I didn’t perform an autopsy so can’t speak to that damage but she didn’t go ten yards. One hop and done. Bullet weighed 76 when I got home so definitely shed some weight. I’ve killed pigs from 10 pounds to 225 with no issues with that combo.

175rltw

BANNED
Regardless of the chambering - I’ve been most pleased with bullets that retain around 70 percent of there weight generally speaking. So that might drop down to 60 65 percent if it’s recoverable on a 20 yard shot and may bump up to 80 percent on a long shot - but in that wieght the tension window you get deep penetration plenty of trauma and quick quick kills. Assuming shots in the hydraulics

AjaDog

Well. Having seen all that , I guess I have a better understanding of why you’re having trouble maintaining a round count. However- nothin g points to actual Volume of fire as a primary reason.
Oh I know I just have 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets of brass

Liberty

That looks fantastic. I’ve failed to get a pass thru busting the shoulder with an 06 and a 308, so nothing lost there. Semi-auto is underrated until you need semi-auto. You’ve sold me, I am slow so adopt new cartridges, but I’m building one rifle length. I’ve got a bunch of 6mm Partitions.

Steven037

That looks fantastic. I’ve failed to get a pass thru busting the shoulder with an 06 and a 308, so nothing lost there. Semi-auto is underrated until you need semi-auto. You’ve sold me, I am slow so adopt new cartridges, but I’m building one rifle length. I’ve got a bunch of 6mm Partitions.
Partition’s should work. I haven’t loaded any for the 6mm ARC but I do use them for .243. I like the AR platform because we have a lot of pig and it gives me a quick follow up and is light and easy to carry stalking around.

ASH556

Whatever y'all do, just don't shoot 'em with a .223. It won't work. :eek:

52182667986_3c0b87fa1c_b.jpg

52182915244_5ccfd2eeb7_b.jpg

52865004023_d5b6c4ae0e_b.jpg

52506667180_830514a10e_b.jpg

ASH556

I just read through this thread since I have suddenly gotten a bug to hunt with my .223 sbr with a suppressor. I missed it if anyone mentioned hunting with this kind of set up. The smallest round I've ever hunted with was a 6mm. I never lost a deer with it but it was from luck. The round always went through and didn't leave much of a blood trail. I just want to do it once with the .223 to say I did it. Not sure why, just one of those things I want to try. I started out hunting with a 30-30, moved up to 30-06 when my dad gave me his 742 Woodsmaster. Currently hunting with a Howa .308. Hopefully this plan doesn't go wrong.
Mine above were all with 62gr Speer Gold Dot. The Federal Fusion is essentially the same bullet. The last one is an 11.5" barrel, the others are 14.5". I killed a doe years back with a 10.3, but had some hand-loaded Barnes copper solids loaded by a friend. The gun cycled, but either he didn't load them hot enough (probably), or the barrel was to short to get them to a reliable expansion velocity. The deer was dead, but the bullet didn't expand. The Gold Dots do a great job!

SC Hunter

@175rltw what kind of rifle is that? I see a 700 action but also see what looks like an aftermarket barrel. I've killed more deer with small calibers than I have 243 and larger calibers.

175rltw

BANNED
@175rltw what kind of rifle is that? I see a 700 action but also see what looks like an aftermarket barrel. I've killed more deer with small calibers than I have 243 and larger calibers.
That was a 700 adl in 223 with the ridiculous 1-11” twist barrel. Now it’s a 700 with drop floor plate, timney trigger and that is nothin more than a take off from a stainless model 7 that has the more modern 1-9 or maybe 1-8 I can’t remember but it’ll shoot 72 trainers now and it wouldn’t before. We just screwed it on and checked head space and started shooting.

That and my model 7 257 Roberts are his “lucky rifles” but my 7mm08 is his “favorite “

Toliver

I've had my magazines loaded for so long the boxes are long gone but this is what I'm shooting.
IMG_6486.jpg

Arrow3

Been loving the little 6mm remington I picked up. I've killed a 8 point at 240 yards and a good size sow at 125 yards. The buck didn't run. The hog was shot quartering away and made it 30 yards. Both shot with Federal 100gr powershoks. I just picked up a box of 95 gr Hornaday SST to try in it. I was busting the kill zone at 400 yards on a shooting bench.

Attachments

• 20231201_113706.jpg
    20231201_113706.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231119_190840.jpg
    20231119_190840.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts